Finally some action

ssantoro

Hi Raiders

It's been a while since I posted a report, but to be honest it's been tough going for me out there. Got to the point where I abandoned soaking baits all together, and focused all my attention on squidding which I've loved. A few weeks back I was down at Rushcutters bay feeding pickers, I had a half pillie out for a bit so I thought I'd check on it. As I retrieved I felt a heavy weight, but no fight...it felt quite similar to an octopus, but to my amazement I pulled up a blue swimmer crab.

post-22947-050905500 1346251188_thumb.jpg

The other night I hit rosebay, cast out a half pillie and let it sit there for 30 minutes untouched by anything. :thumbdown: So I pull out my squidding rig, first cast and the orange 2.5 Yamashita does the job, but that was it.

post-22947-093876600 1346250557_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I finished work and bolted down to Bronte, I had packed some pillies and prawns in the esky that morning in the hope that I'd get a chance to get amongst some fish that afternoon. When I got there I met a nice bloke (Kian) who'd been there for a while and got nothing, he was spinning lures in the hope he'd pull his first Sambo. First cast...bang I'm on I haven't felt anything like this for a while, nice 33cm Trevally perfect for dinner. A few more casts and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ my rod buckles over, after a good fight I land my first sambo 60cm and 2kg. I was using an 8' Shimano rod with line capacity of 6-10kg (obviously not made for rock fishing) and a Shimano Baitrunner 6000 OC, luckily my new mate Kian was there to help pull it up. After that fish, things calmed down for 40 minutes, there were no bites at all. I put on another Pillie this time leaving the whole fish on the rig, before I could even sit down to enjoy the view ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ I'm on again. after four nice runs where it peeled off plenty of line, I started to get some back...it was made easy for me because the fish started swimming towards me and of course the rocks. Once I had the line nice and tight again, boom out of the water jumps this sambo just like a marlin :biggrin2: I'd heard they did this but never seen it. I brought the big fella closer to where Kian was fishing and again he helped me get my fish up on the rocks. This sambo measured 64cm and weighed 2.5kg, I gave him to Kian who deserved one for not only helping me, but for actually pulling in a monster sambo using 6lb line with what I think was a 6' spinning rod, only to have it bust off at the base of the rocks as he tried to get it up, I ran to assist but was too slow :05:

post-22947-026312400 1346253139_thumb.jpg

Biggest Sambo was the one on the left.

Kian- if you are reading this post...thanks mate, couldn't have done it without you.

Edited by extremeterror