Help with towing and boats please

Shim

Hi all

I've recently decided on buying boat. Im after a tinny around 4m. Ive been trying to get information from the net but having a hard time finding info.

What kind of car do I need to tow my tinny if I was to buy one. Is there some sort of chart with towing ? 1.6L can pull your average tinny? Ive read that most people use any car with Tinnys and have no problems but if your car isn't made for towing, in the

Long run its going to cost alot for repairs on the car ? I also have a budget and can't afford a big strong ute.

Also how hard is it to maintain boats ? Do you need to service them every time it hits a certain hour ? Are they easy to service on your own ? I'm just after a tinny that can take me around Narrabeen lake, the spit, Roseville and manly area. Is there any reccomandations on a boat that would be safe around those waters ? I usually fish with about 4 people and in total we weigh about 320 kg. I've seen alot of different styles of boats and not sure which to get. And what is insurance like on a boat?

Any help will be greatly appreciated !

Hi Mate,

check the towing capacity for your car in your owners manual(stay within limits).Keep in mind that you may have trouble pulling it out of steep slippery ramps especially at low tide.

In regards to wear and tear on your car,towing anything with a small car regurlarly especially up long hills will put alot of strain on all drivetrain components.Ensure you regularly maintain all fluids etc in your car.

Generally get the engine serviced yearly,It also depends on your mechanical abilities whether you can service it yourself only you can decide on that.But my advice is if you dont know what your doing seek professional help.

In regards to boat choice pretty much any tinny that size will handle those waters with a competent skipper.

Insurance depends on providers/boat/amount insured etc.My 420 estuary angler cost me $300 a year.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

Fabian.

Hi Mate,

check the towing capacity for your car in your owners manual(stay within limits).Keep in mind that you may have trouble pulling it out of steep slippery ramps especially at low tide.

In regards to wear and tear on your car,towing anything with a small car regurlarly especially up long hills will put alot of strain on all drivetrain components.Ensure you regularly maintain all fluids etc in your car.

Generally get the engine serviced yearly,It also depends on your mechanical abilities whether you can service it yourself only you can decide on that.But my advice is if you dont know what your doing seek professional help.

In regards to boat choice pretty much any tinny that size will handle those waters with a competent skipper.

Insurance depends on providers/boat/amount insured etc.My 420 estuary angler cost me $300 a year.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

Fabian.

thanks for the help ! I was thinking a suzuki sx4 and boat stays within towing capacity weight. thanks for the help

thanks for the help ! I was thinking a suzuki sx4 and boat stays within towing capacity weight. thanks for the help

Towing is one thing , stopping is another. What ever you choose ensure it has big brakes which are invaluable if an emergency occurs.

Geoff

Also I've had my eye on sea craft boats. Is there a reason why there cheap ?

Chinese...

Pretty much all other alloy boats of 4m in Australia are Australian made.

The Sea Crafts are also usually sold with a Chinese motor as well.

Cheap purchase price but resale could be an issue if that is of consideration.

Are you working to a particular budget? 4M alloy boats depending on age and configuration could be had from $1500 to 20k.

One of my main considerations when purchasing a boat is the amount of free board. Some make's an models offer considerably more then others. By going up to 4.5 meters you will gain a lot more stability, especially when 4 up.

Shim, what's your budget champ? That is going to depend a lot on what you can purchase.

Let us know and we can come upith some more accurater advice/recommendations.

Cheers, Tuffy.

thanks for the help guys. im looking at spending $7000 max. ive just been looking around on boat sales and trying to get an idea on what i want.