Not much luck

Jacques.va

Hi guys,

I am looking for some help. I am new to Sydney and have been fishing for just over a year. I check fish raider daily and get super jealous seeing all the awesome catches and stories.

So here is my problem, for majority of the past year I have been land based fishing :1fishing1: and have not really had any luck. So decide to save up and purchase a boat. I have now been out a few times but still not having much success. Not really sure what I am doing wrong, I have tried live squid, fresh prawns, pillies etc and still no legal fish, often no fish at all. I see other guys pulling up fish all round me but I have no luck. I do burley up water and fish in the trail but still no real luck :thumbdown: . I watch the videos online on how to catch various species and try find good locations but not sure what I am meant to be looking for. Practice makes perfect but even the smallest tips would be helpful.

Any help would be much appreciated. If you want to PM me feel free. I would be more than happy to even go out and tag along with someone with some experience.

I have tried to target flathead and other common estuary fish but I must be doing something wrong.

I think sometimes you need to know what's around and target those species.... Its A bit quite at the moment so I've kept it simple lately chasing salmon and bonito just around the heads and my fall back has been blackfish...there is lots of them around...... get to know what's biting and I think you will improve your chances...

Thanks burnsy74 I will slowly get the hang of this. Always learning something new everyday.

G'day stinkbait

Yeah, it sounds like you're doing all the right things. What areas are you fishing?

Flatties do slow down in the cooller months, but spring is upon us! I've also found half pilchards on a paternoster rig (sinker on the bottom) especially offshore.

You've definitely got the right idea trying to focus on a species. But always have a contingency.

Cheers Leo

Hi guys,

I see other guys pulling up fish all round me but I have no luck. I do burley up water and fish in the trail but still no real luck :thumbdown: .

Hi Stinkbait,

Sounds like you are doing the right thing but if people around you are pulling in fish and you are not getting hit then you may need to check your rigging. Proper sized hooks, lines, sinkers etc will give you better chances of hooking up.

Good Luck.

G'day stinkbait

Yeah, it sounds like you're doing all the right things. What areas are you fishing?

Flatties do slow down in the cooller months, but spring is upon us! I've also found half pilchards on a paternoster rig (sinker on the bottom) especially offshore.

You've definitely got the right idea trying to focus on a species. But always have a contingency.

Cheers Leo

Thanks Leo, that helps a great deal. I was told by one of the guys at the boat ramp that I should change my rig to a Paternoster. I will give this a go. Hopefully I will posting some picture soon.

No worries good luck! I usually use 3/0, or 5/0 circles for flatties on bait. And as long as you stay on a sandy bottom, don't be afraid to drag your sinker along the bottom. The extra disturbance stirs them up!

Cheers Leo