Kurnell Boat Ramp

twisty84

We're looking at about three months closure while they construct a new ramp and pontoon, lets hope some decent parking is in the plan it's sure to be popular once it opens.

Edited by zook2001

• 2 months later...

Kurnell boat ramp should be reopen in August with further works continuing on parking etc after the actual ramp is done.

The ramp would have finished sooner but works have stopped because of the Hollywood film set for a new wolverine movie filming where They constructed a complete Japanese pow camp with huts and watch towers etc .

A WORD OF CAUTION WITH THE NEW RAMP.

THE NEW RAMP WILL NOT GIVE YOU ANY BETTER ACCESS THAN THE OLD ONE,BECAUSE THEY ONLY EXTENDED IT A FURTHER 200mm.

IT WILL BE DOUBLE LANE WITH A PONTOON,GREAT BUT ONLY ACCESSABLE ABOUT 75% OF THE TIME.

I HAVE BEEN FLAT OUT IN CONTACT WITH THE MAYOR ,!DEPUTY MAYOR AND M Speakman the local MP and now to the minister Duncan Gay, I await a reply from his dept as council are saying that because of fisheries restrictions over the seagrass nothing else can be done and that's that!.

They tell me this was decided by council and more so by fisheries because of a small section of protected seagrass at the ramp.

I said common sence would suggest they constructed the new ramp in a different spot,most likely the opposite side of the groin at the same cost since they were building a new one anyway.

The other important fact is the ramp was supposed to be an alternative emergency evacuation route or access for emergency services,I hope if we have to evacuate it will be high tide.

Last week I took photos 2 hours past low tide and the water was 1mtr from the bottom of where the ramp will end.

Kurnell ramp will be useless 60-70% of the time because of this rare seagrass that will most likely get thrashed by boats struggling to get in/out on low tide, yet this rare seagrass Did not stop the desalination plant running a pipeline across the bay or energy aus laying a new cable across the bay or the new port but poor old kurnell's boat ramp forget it.

The constructors have also said the sand dredged for the new ramp is already washing back in,what a total waste of our tax and license dollars.

On top of this they have blocked the old access off the side we used to get in,out on low.

If anyone on here has any political influence could you please look into this.

Paddy

Edited by Paddy454

Hi all,

One positive is that when they upgrade the car park they will have boat wash down bays. They can't put fish cleaning tables due to council regs...

One question - while the ramp is under construction can I launch my boat on the sand? I have a 4wd and would be capable to do it as it is only a small boat, but was just wondering if it would annoy locals driving on the sand?

Cheers

Hi mate,

I went there this avo to see if any work happening on the ramp only to find the road,Bonna point reserve and beach all barricaded off with security guard on gate because of this wolverine movie they are filming.

I could not believe it,we were only told the work on the ramp would stop while the movie was happening but no mention of the full on closures.

I expect a lot of locals and visitors will be peed off as they cannot use the park or beach to walk the dog,exercise or fish the point..

In answer to your question about launching from the beach,well that area is barricaded,the only exposed access to the beach is where the barricade fence line starts,I think you would be better launching elsewhere for now.

Just a note on the ramp.

I contacted Robert Brown from the fishers & shooters party today and have had a cc'd reply from him To Duncan Gay the minister for waterways.

I expect I,m fighting a loosing battle but you got to have a go.

At least the future generations will have a useable ramp when global warming rises the water level!.

Paddy

Edited by Paddy454

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Took a trip down on Sunday to see how progress was going.

Sadly I left the phone at home and didnt get any pics.

Anyway, progress is looking slow with the holdup for filming scenes for the new wolverine movies I guess.

The ramp looks done and there are steel pylon formworks in place for what I think will be the pylons to accomodate the floating jetty.

I find it hard to believe that the project will be finished this month acording to council time projection.

Good things take time they say so I and others I am sure are happy to wait.

I will get down there next weekend and take some progress pics for those that are interested...

Cheers

Kel

Went for a drive out to Kurnell last weekend and work is well underway on the new ramp.

Loooks like it will be two lanes with a pontoon.

Poles are in for the pontoon and some minor works are being carried out on the ramp itself.

Sorry, did not have anything to take pictures with, but will do so next time.

Should all be complete in a couple of months and will be a great ramp for a quick exit through the heads, if the drive to kurnell will not be that far for anyone.

Thanks for the heads up, looks like they are making new ramps everywhere, which is great to see...they finished wharft road awhile back and they are doing work on another down at ryde bridge aswell....keep up the good work fella's.

Kurnell boat ramp opened today.

Looks great but still need to launch/retrieve by the tides(low tide too shallow).

Still work to be done on the surroundings,flush area and the parking.

Signage in place warning about the depth,damage to seagrass etc,basically covering their ar@$.

Regards,

Paddy

Photos attached.

Be careful on low tide,I noticed a drop off at the end of the ramp and if your trailer wheels go past You may struggle getting out.

Some official looking people checking it out today,I hope they noted the dredged sand washing back over the ramp ,as over time it will become shallower as a result.

Regards,

Paddy

post-21154-086945000 1347503056_thumb.jpgpost-21154-032428600 1347503090_thumb.jpgpost-21154-065935800 1347503106_thumb.jpgpost-21154-058830800 1347503191_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paddy454