Bearing Buddies

squidboy

Hi fellow raiders,

My bearing buddy spring came out the other night while I was about the crease it up. After removing the nipple and cover I realised that much of the grease had gone.

Does anyone know how to pack the grease and the cover so that no air remains behind the nipple. I.E I want only grease going to the bearing rather than grease and air.

Also, how far out do you boaters pump the grease nipple out to? I have read the bearing buddy must be able to move side to side, but it doesnt answer the question of when to know it is full.

Thanks for any help.

Squidboy.

Also, how far out do you boaters pump the grease nipple out to? I have read the bearing buddy must be able to move side to side, but it doesnt answer the question of when to know it is full.

Thanks for any help.

Squidboy.

There should be a hole , approx 1mm in Dia on the side of the housing. Normal practice is to pump grease in via the nipple until grease emerges from the hole. The grease will then be at the correct level.

Geoff

You should also read this:

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=62060

There was a time when I was pumping in the grease, no grease was coming out of the hole... I had no idea what was happening, then to realise that on the other side of the wheel, grease was coming out... in all honestly, I find the whole idea of bearing mates troublesome. I found more cons than pros after using bearing mates.

I pay extra and get the stainless steel ones. I havent had any issues with them. I was told not to fill them up to the top but i guess everyone has different methods. Then i was told just to top it up every 6 mths or so.

Could not agree more stainless steel is the go.

As for filling, if you fill to the hole you will find when you get to the ramp there's grease all over the place.

As the bearing rotates it heats and expands the grease pushing it out the hole or worse pushing out the rear seal, you need to leave enough room in the bearing buddies for the grease to move in and out with the spring, that's why so many people have problems with them.

Once the bearings and buddies are packed you really only need a couple of pumps with a good quality gun. (Or only bring the nipple out half way in the housing)

Done it like that with my work trailer for the last 12 years or more and never had a problem (with a average of 100km a day it works for me)

Could not agree more stainless steel is the go.

As for filling, if you fill to the hole you will find when you get to the ramp there's grease all over the place.

As the bearing rotates it heats and expands the grease pushing it out the hole or worse pushing out the rear seal, you need to leave enough room in the bearing buddies for the grease to move in and out with the spring, that's why so many people have problems with them.

Once the bearings and buddies are packed you really only need a couple of pumps with a good quality gun. (Or only bring the nipple out half way in the housing)

Done it like that with my work trailer for the last 12 years or more and never had a problem (with a average of 100km a day it works for me)

Hey Ian,

What you are saying does make perfect sense. I was told by everyone, including the place I purchased it from, to fill until grease comes out of the hole. I won't top it up for a while and see how it goes. Thanks again.