West Wyalong Fishing?

dan1000

G'day Raiders,

I'm out in West Wyalong for the next two weeks on a placement for my uni degree, and I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience in fishing the creeks, rivers, or lakes out here? Also whether or not you're even allowed to fish the creeks/rivers out here anymore?

Cheers,

Dan

G'day Raiders,

I'm out in West Wyalong for the next two weeks on a placement for my uni degree, and I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience in fishing the creeks, rivers, or lakes out here? Also whether or not you're even allowed to fish the creeks/rivers out here anymore?

Cheers,

Dan

I've been through WW dozens of times, never seen any water there. Except for the artificial lake just outside town, on the Lake Cargelligo/Condobolin road, think it's called Centenary Lake or something like that. Holds plenty of large carp, perhaps other species, popular with windsurfers and families, but looks worth a try.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I think Lake Centenary is just outside Temora, down the road from Wyalong...

Edited by Gunter

Ah ok, I was thinking more the creeks in the area. on the drive in the barmedman creek looked swollen and very fishable, and there's yiddah creek south of town that I haven't had a look at yet.

My only problem is that I don't know if you're actually allowed to fish these waterways, and if so which species might be in there.

Cheers for the reply though Gatts!

Update: spoke to a few locals and they recommended the lachlan river near condobolin, so I'm heading up tomorrow to hopefully get into some golden perch (yellowbelly)!!

Don't forget it's closed season for Cod...good luck. Worms and (even better) small yabbies r best for yellas. Neil.

Headed up to condobolin and arrived at the lachlan river at around 11am armed with super light gear for hopefully some decent sized yellas on hard bodies.

Fished a few spots up and down river for about four hours before heading back south. Tell you what, as much of a pest as they are, it's a sight and a half seeing some truly enormous carp getting MAJOR air throughout the day.

Anyway, the end result was three yellas hooked and sighted (ranging between approx. 40-70cm), each fighting harder than the last, but with my super light gear they managed to run back to the structure they called home and bust me off.

Even though I didn't land a fish, it was still a great day out in the sun on the beautiful lachlan river. If my fellow raiders are ever after a great little spot for a camping and fishing weekend, I can't rate this place high enough. Picturesque doesn't do it justice!!

Anyway that's that, next time i'll pack some heavier gear and hopefully get some photos of the beasts that bested me this time around.

Until next time, tight lines fellow raiders!!

Dan

Headed up to condobolin and arrived at the lachlan river at around 11am armed with super light gear for hopefully some decent sized yellas on hard bodies.

Fished a few spots up and down river for about four hours before heading back south. Tell you what, as much of a pest as they are, it's a sight and a half seeing some truly enormous carp getting MAJOR air throughout the day.

Anyway, the end result was three yellas hooked and sighted (ranging between approx. 40-70cm), each fighting harder than the last, but with my super light gear they managed to run back to the structure they called home and bust me off.

Even though I didn't land a fish, it was still a great day out in the sun on the beautiful lachlan river. If my fellow raiders are ever after a great little spot for a camping and fishing weekend, I can't rate this place high enough. Picturesque doesn't do it justice!!

Anyway that's that, next time i'll pack some heavier gear and hopefully get some photos of the beasts that bested me this time around.

Until next time, tight lines fellow raiders!!

Dan

What sort of hard bodies did they respond to, Dan? Neil.

Neil,

I used a range of rmg, halco, and strike pro deep diving hard bodies between 60-80mm, worked around the the structure. They were chasing the real dark coloured lures (black, deep green and purple).

Cheers,

Dan

Neil,

I used a range of rmg, halco, and strike pro deep diving hard bodies between 60-80mm, worked around the the structure. They were chasing the real dark coloured lures (black, deep green and purple).

Cheers,

Dan

75 mm purple oargee lures work well in the Bidgee. Neil.