Lake Lyell 11/9/2012

Jew Stalker

So... Today it became official, I am no longer a trout virgin. After heading out to Lake Lyell a couple of weeks ago and coming home with a donut I had some time to think about a few things. I spoke to a local that day who had a few stonker trout from trolling the middle of the lake, he sent me on the way to the tackle store for a few tassie devils of particular colours that the local fish seem to respond to well. He also shared some techniques with different lures and judging by the fish he showed me I was going to soak up every letter he spoke like a sponge (that my brain is when it comes to fishing hehe).

So armed with these particular devils and a friend to keep me company I returned to the lake to go after these mythical trout that I swear people are buying then bringing fishing with them to make people like me feel inadequate hehe. I vowed to myself I was going to fling this thing either until my arm fell off or I was dragged away from there kicking and screaming or I caught one of these supposed mountain trout.

I found myself up the back of the lake up one of the creek arms armed with my not so secret weapons and went at it. I was flicking like crazy left, right and centre holding each spots for a dozen casts and then moving along with not much going on. No flashes, no follows, no curious bites but I was enjoying a beautiful day over the hills.

So another cast goes in and I let it sink all the way to the bottom and slowly start rolling it in. There still isn't much interest from the fishies as I expected but determined I keep rolling it in nice and slow. The lure is getting closer and closer until all hope for the cast is gone when "whack", my rod has a bend in it and my lure is getting pulled away from me... I can hardly believe it. I yell out to my mate "I've got one on",then realise that my drag was a little light giving him a bit of run time back out toward the middle. I take hold of the situation and realise that there are a bunch of trees around here and I am going to need to navigate him through there somehow so I punch up the drag on my little 1000 reel enough to drag him through the trees but not too much as to snap my 6lb leader. My buddy comes running over and gets there just in time to see me get a nice 30cm rainbow out of the water into my hands. I tell my buddy to get his phone out for a shot and to be quick about it as less time out of the water is best for the fish. He gets it out and couldn't remember how to get it in picture mode. :wacko: Whilst he is trying to figure it out the pretty little bow I was holding was not too happy about his current situation out of the water and gave a mighty last ditch effort flap in my hands. It was a bit too slippery and I didn't want to handle it too rough and he managed to sliver his way out of my fingers. As I was standing right next to the water is was only a short jump to freedom where he quickly found himself (where he was going to end up after my photo anyway but he couldn't wait hehe).

So long story short I don't have a photo of my first trout but I have a friend who saw it and good memories which I have done my best to share with you all. :)

A special thanks to Royce also for the tips he shared with me on the phone. I explored all up the back of the dam and found my fish up there where you said they would be. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

Edited by Jew Stalker

Jewstalker,

just haveyour gear primed for the month of October the streams will be open I have some good access to the Cox's near you! Plenty of bows and browns t obe caught!

I would like some oct action and I am ready with my new waders and boots and 5 wt sage

Congrats on breaking through with a new species and all trout are special no matter where you catch them or how big :thumbup:

Regards Stewy

Thanks Stewy, and you are 100% correct, I am as proud of my 30cm bow as my 89cm king, 76cm Jew and 58cm bream. It was a day I will not forget in a hurry. That one fish made my week. :biggrin2:

Great report mate. And congrats on your first one. Ridiculous jealous.

Thanks nibbles, feel free to message me if you are up for a fish sometime, I am always keen and looking for someone to fish with.

Nice one Jew Stalker! Great read too!

Thanks bud, It was a memorable moment for me so the report was worth the added extra effort to share my joy. :)

Jewstalker,

just haveyour gear primed for the month of October the streams will be open I have some good access to the Cox's near you! Plenty of bows and browns t obe caught!

I am ready to go Royce! Give me 5 minutes notice and I am there hehehe. When I get some cash aside I will invest in a fly rod and fly equipment too. As long as you show me how to use it. ;)

Edited by Jew Stalker

All good buddy I will teach you the art of casting! When you look to invest in yourfirst rod let me know and your budget, no point buying a cheapie! A good rod for around $300 will get you a lifetime warranty!

alo is your phone functional at present?????

Good form. You are right with the cheapies, they look the part but soon fail when the pressure is on. The missus will probably kill me for doing it but hey, what's a few hundred bucks for a lifetime of pleasure? I'm sure she will get over it, if she doesn't leave me first hehehe.

The phone is functional but I can only speak on loudspeaker as my stupid internal speaker has crapped itself. Give me a call anytime through the day though and I will be able to speak without worrying if I wake up the little ones like now.

Cheers, Luc.

Edited by Jew Stalker

Will give you a call tomorrow night! Oh and if you want I can bring along a spare fly rod for you to have a go with first, see if you like it! Put it this way $500 will get you a decent rod (most important) a good line (nxt most important) and a basic reel (least important as it really is only a line storing device) Having said thta I own a Lamson Guru 1.5!

Will give you a call tomorrow night! Oh and if you want I can bring along a spare fly rod for you to have a go with first, see if you like it! Put it this way $500 will get you a decent rod (most important) a good line (nxt most important) and a basic reel (least important as it really is only a line storing device) Having said thta I own a Lamson Guru 1.5!

Sounds like a plan. It would probably be best if I gave it a go first. I would hate to blow 500 smackers on something I couldn't come to terms with. Chances are though I will love it. :biggrin2:

Hi Luc, congrats on ur 1st trout. Mate of mine who is a very keen trout fisher loves Tassie Devils but makes a few alterations which improve his hook up rate. He takes the wire out and runs his line through the lure with a red bead in front and behind the actual lure. He also replaces the treble hook with a pair of staggered single hooks. Worth considering, he has caught many a decent trout over the years. Cheers, Neil.

Nicely done mate, the effort sounds to be worth it :thumbup:

Cheers muchly, it was totally worth it! I thought moving away from the ocean was going to kill me, now I am not so sure... Thankfully.

Hi Luc, congrats on ur 1st trout. Mate of mine who is a very keen trout fisher loves Tassie Devils but makes a few alterations which improve his hook up rate. He takes the wire out and runs his line through the lure with a red bead in front and behind the actual lure. He also replaces the treble hook with a pair of staggered single hooks. Worth considering, he has caught many a decent trout over the years. Cheers, Neil.

That is good advice Neil, I do something similar. I remove the wire and put the beads on but generally threw the trebles back on. I am curious how he is doing the staggered single set up. I don't suppose you could make me up a blue print with the hooks and knots used could you? Would be much appreciated, cheers. :biggrin2:

Entertaining read, nice work with your first trout. im sure there will be many to come. :) Going that way this weekend. :P Trout fishing is a "little" bit different to big jews, but just as satisfying. Keep at it matey. :)

Cheers much.

I am positive there will be many more to come. That one fish just woke up the freshwater fishing demons in me and now I am a man possessed hehehe. The trout is completely different to a jew however the thrill is just as great. Also I have seen some huge trout get pulled out of the lake systems up there that would rival a lot of jews and I think the thrill of catching one of those monsters on my ultralight gear would perhaps be more satisfying to be honest. There is no way I giving this up any time soon.

Hi my name is Lucard, I'm an addict. When I am at home, I am thinking about fishing, when fishing I am thinking of my next fishing trip, when I am not thinking of fishing I am sleeping and dreaming of catching fish. :1fishing1: