Help with salmon land-based

Rednet

Hi fellow raiders,

My friend and I are passionate fisherman and were hoping we could get together with some fellow raiders to learn how to target salmon land-based around the harbour, Manly, Long Reef, Botany and Cronulla areas as we have heard reports of large schools of salmon around atm. If anyone is planning on going in the coming weeks we would love to tag along and pick up some pointers.

Thanks

Hey mate greenhills /Wanda beach has plenty I was their 3 weeks ago and landed my bag limit within an hour as I'm using em for shark baits I packed up and left so I'm sure they still would have been biting.

Other than that estuaries don't have thick schools yet might catch one or two but you will do much better on the beach or outside if you have a boat.

Paternoster rig with salted pillies works everytime for me.

I use a number 4 mustad and a number 4-5 start sinker and 20lb line.

I recently tried the surf poppers but had little to no luck though it was a pretty crappy day for fishing.

Beaches seem to always have them when I go regardless of time or tide though I am sure there are better times and tides to catch them.The run in tide usually works for me in the evening though morning and afternoon during the run in has proven fruitful.

Good luck

• 3 months later...

Find a nice gutter, use a paternoster rig, size 4 hook on top, 3/0 on bottom, sinker to suit. Put a pippie on top hook and half a pilchard on bottom ( tail is best). When you get a bite wait for 30 seconds before striking and you will most likely get a double hook up. Usually it is a smaller salmon on the top hook first which creates a commotion so bigger fish come in to have a look and take the bigger bait, then the action starts.

• 5 months later...

Guess I'm about 6 months late on this thread but something that always works for me is simply spinning metal baitfish lures off the rocks! What's even better are the rapala diving minnow lures, if you pop a really fast retrieve and there are salmon about they can't resist them ;)