Sunday Afternoon at the Hump MKII

duckegg

Boys,

Got down to the Hump by around 7.30am amd started prospecting. Water was still cold at around 15.1c. I am still very much just trying to cover ground so main rig has been lucanis jig off a patternoster and a pillie on the dropper. Sorry Piratin and Frank as i suspect i am talking sacrilege. Anyway water was fairly green with a lot of 'gunk'. Kept looking wide but no good. Was struggling to hit bottom so came into around 55m. Immediately picked up a nice pannie then repeated the drift. Tap tap, gave him some line and bang nice fish. Called it for a red 3-4kg mark, 3/4 of the way up everything goes to poop. Up comes the rig, loop intact and no hooks. Needless to say i was gutted. If i fish this rig again it is with a cats paw or 3 way swivel. Got an orange thing, think it was a tuskfish, plus a stripe which has been salted down for bait. Wind was from the north but unfortuantely the current was going that way as well. Jackets were a nightmare lost heaps of gear. Does cold water mean more jackets?

Until next week, duckegg out...

gotta keep trying mate. :thumbup: at least you ended up with a couple of fish to take home. There are plenty of jackets out in force atm. i went out on the saturday for a couple of drifts out that way only to lose several sinkers and rigs to those pesky jackets. better luck next time.

Edited by Dangas

gotta keep trying mate. :thumbup: at least you ended up with a couple of fish to take home. There are plenty of jackets out in force atm. i went out on the saturday for a couple of drifts out that way only to lose several sinkers and rigs to those pesky jackets. better luck next time.

Dangas,

Definitely putting in the time if my wife's low opinion of the boat is anything to go by. I reckon i am getting very close to 'killin the pig'! Stay tuned for Hump MKIII

Jackets are everywhere. Week before last got 15 keeper flathead drifting off Bate Bay. Last week (Monday) 1 Flathead and lots of lost rigs to jackets. Even when I moved after first jackets, about 400 meters, as soon as I stopped the jackets came up behind the boat at the surface chasing anything in the water. :1badmood:

Pete