No More Pro's ?

I know we discuss this all the time but I though id throw another one up there.

Its pretty obvious we all feel the same way about pro fishing and the need to protect our waterways from unsustainable pro fishing activities. I for one would like nothing else but to see pro's gone altogether, but -

Although it is great in theory, is it a realistic expectation to think that pro's will some day be completely gone ? It seems every state in Australia has them as does most countries in the world, and an industry harvesting any kind of food would be hard pressed being totaly removed for any reason especially for rec fishing purposes.

Maybe the blanket approach of 'all pro's gone' will simply be swept asside and seen as another unthinkable situation dreampt up be crackpots as far as the government is concerned.

I see that lobbying for specific individual problems can be quite successfull (ie kingy traps) and other things like buying out certain pro licnences in certain areas as more of an achievable goal that will hopefully lead to their demise in the end.

Writing letters to the minister shunning pro fisherman is all well and good and tells him our frustration with the whole pro thing, but I feel this type of approach wont lead to much, and it certainly wont get a response unless it deals with specific issues, and not just pro bashing propaganda which im sure the minister wont even read.

My point is, stick to the facts and specific issues, dont rely on emotion and anger to win the battle. Lets pick out targets and hit them individualy on their merrits. Id hate to see such an important issue be turned into some out of control slugging match which has no winner.

The way Iain picks his mark is fantasitic and always seems to get some sort of action or response because it is specific and factual.

Like I said, I too would love to see them gone and see chipping away bit at a time as the best option, and taking small wins we can get them.

Im not sure if this post makes any sense or not but its just my thoughts on how I like to deal with problems.

If getting rig of them altogether is not an option, that lets send them to some remote isolated place no one wants to live in - like Victoria :1prop:

I can't agree more. What you said makes sense. Okay lets start with the Shoalhaven River System. There are still boats going out of Greenwell Point enough to sustain the industry. The closing of the river to pros must eventually be beneficial to the trawlers as the fish stocks in the river mature and go to sea, especially the snapper. Maybe with the increased licence fees coming in we may have the reason for more pros to be bought out. only my thoughts. Could focus on another river system as long as we target a particular cause.

Rick.

G`day Fellas ,

Grant , I think Harvesting Fish bred in Pens , requires food that Fish will eat , so I`m wondering where they would aquire the food for their stock .

Harvesting also has major drawbacks in the fact that , just about every supplier of Salmon to date for instance , has had problems with exotic marine diseases etc .

And the cost factor I think would be prohibitive as well.

But to supply the entire nation with fish bred in captivity , would probably require massive pens stretching along the entire coastline , unlesss you are thinking of inland pens , and that too would probably be ultra expensive I think.

I cannot imagine the charge for fish and chips , if the produce was bred in Pens and lot fed to supply the public .

I `m also thinking the local Fish & chip shop would soon disapear very quickly if that were so.

But I think it may be inevitable the way things are going, immagine a world without the humble " Fish and Chips" shop.

Mick

Guest Jocool

If getting rig of them altogether is not an option, that lets send them to some remote isolated place no one wants to live in - like Victoria  :1prop:

58080[/snapback]

Funny you should say that Grant. Victoria is now embarking on a buyout scheme as we speak. Be interesting to see if they have the same situation as us with Commercial fishermen buying up un-used lisences! :badair:

:yahoo:

Grant,

As usual you speak nothing but commonsense.

A limited number of professional fishos using controlled methods such as handlining outside of the major metropolitan areas has and will always be sustainable. Dragging nets in rivers is not.

The wild fishery should serve the top end of the market (restaurants etc) and merely supplement the aquaculture industry as opposed to being the source of all biomass consumed. Aquaculture will never be profitable when the plundering of wild fish is allowed. It's impossible that an operator who is required to invest in infrastructure and take considerable risk can compete with someone who can take wild fish at minimal cost. There has to be an indellible shift in 'production' from wild to farmed fish that must happen and the economics says that this won't occur until the wild fish are depleted. I advocate intervention now to force this shift and at the same time save the last remnants of the wild fish stocks.

We should definately continue to chip away at the big issues and making the Harbour, The Hawkesbury and Port Hacking pro free is the next step.

58151[/snapback]

:thumbup: Ian-when are you taking up politics????-------I'll vote for ya!!!! :1clap:

Its not about being considered or intelligent in our arguement look how successful that has been for us so far !!!its simply about getting what WE want for OUR money.

Take a hard line and hold it

It works everytime for the pros and greens so why shouldn't it work for the sleeping giant.

If we start watering down the point amongst ourselves before it even gets fully aired then we've lost before we start.

Edited by allen glover

Funny you should say that Grant. Victoria is now embarking on a buyout scheme as we speak.Be interesting to see if they have the same situation as us with Commercial fishermen buying up un-used lisences! 58126[/snapback]

PML :074::074:

There shouldnt be any latent licences left down in Victoria. Afterall didnt their licence scam (Oops licence scheme) snap them all up at the last buyout cashfest they had just 4 yrs ago.

A

Edited by allen glover

Guest Jewel

With you all the way mate!

To the best of my knowledge Pt Hacking is pro free, do you know someting that I dont and should????

Cheers

Mick

Allen my starting position is pretty solid. No pro fishing in estuaries and no pro fishing whatsoever near major cities.

A reasonable concession or fallback might be that I could live with would be some limited pro take by low impact techniques in remote areas.