Squidding woolongong

giangnguyen

It's been awhile since I last posted. Been a very busy year for all of us. But here is a quick report from team 'No Fish' on three consecutive week squidding at Port Kembla.

1st week: fished at dusk. Landed 8

2nd week: stayed overnight landed 16

3rd week: fished at dusk. Landed only 4 it was quite windy on the last trip.

Overall we did manage to land 4 big green eyes over 1.2kg. The rest range from 400g - 900g. It's still decent size.

Happy fishing. Sorry no pics.

Snag-King.

We only uses squid jigs now days. It's much quicker and cleaner to rig up. This is on boat btw. So usually each person has two rod if he chooses. And depending on wind, current, and water depth. One rod is usually rig up paternoster style sitting in the rod holder. While flicking with the other rod. To try and max out our chances.

If you prefer to use the sprong instead. Try designing the sprong with a bamboo skewer. And stainless hooks. This option allows the bait to suspend mid water. And not sink all the way to the bottom and snags. I've had friends that bag out on squid with this technics land base.

Goodluck.

Snag-King.

It's been awhile since I last posted. Been a very busy year for all of us. But here is a quick report from team 'No Fish' on three consecutive week squidding at Port Kembla.

1st week: fished at dusk. Landed 8

2nd week: stayed overnight landed 16

3rd week: fished at dusk. Landed only 4 it was quite windy on the last trip.

Overall we did manage to land 4 big green eyes over 1.2kg. The rest range from 400g - 900g. It's still decent size.

Happy fishing. Sorry no pics.

Snag-King.

Well done, i travel regular down south and you do get some winds most of the time but i find not as many snags.

Hi Snag King, thats a great haul you sound like you have a lots of success i squid from a boat a fair bit at port but never have any luck.When you say patinoster style do you mean with a jig or prong off the dropper? And do you squid around the islands? Sorry for all the questions mate, but im just trying to learn from someone that knows what there doin. Cheers mate!

It's cool mate. I'll be glad to share what I know. I'm still an amateur when it comes to fishing.

From my past experience with the months calendar of squidding. Now is the quiet season. You will start to get bait size ones in safe sanctuary in about a couple of months. Then around summer you start to get alot of squid average size just about every where. And towards end of autumn and early winter is when you get bigger ones but less in numbers.

So having said that. During our recent trips to the port. Was to focus around dusk and dawn. Knowingly we are after big ones and not numbers. All the hits was at the islands. And none at the break wall. We use paternoster rig with two jigs. The boat constantly moves up and down making the jigs looks very alive. Fishing around 15m of water. Drifting is better. But depends on winds and current.

Spronge is probably better if your landbase and find it hard to cast a distance with the light jigs. But keep in mind that squids like weeds and corals. So if you let it sinks all the way to the bottom. You will loose it. A stainless steel hook and bamboo skewer is more ideally for that particular area.

Hope that helps.

Snag-King.