53cm drummer off the rocks

benm

G'day Fishraiders

This is my first fishing report. After landing a 40cm drummer last week, I decided to give it another shot this weekend to see if I could do better.

I arrived at my favorite rock just below the Royal National Park about 1 hour before high tide. The swell was pretty rough. Banana prawns for bait on a paternoster rig. In the first 40mins or so I caught a few small trevallies, which I threw back, and had my bait nibbled off by small fish, but I knew there were some big mosters down there so I persisted and when the high tide was at it's peak my rod went down! Now this fish pulled hard! Aussie salmon don't even compare to the power of this fish. I played the fish for a while, trying not to let it dive down into the rocks where it could cut my line. I was lucky that the waves were big as I used them to my advantage to lift the fish up onto the rocks. I had the biggest smile on my face at that moment.

th_IMGP0654_zps84fdadc5.jpg

th_IMGP0655_zpsfdc7f83a.jpg

After landing the fish I re-baited and cast back into the same spot. Straight away I was on and it was pulling even harder than the previous! Trouble struck and the drag on my old reel locked up and the line snapped! It must have been an absolute monster.

Guess what's for dinner tonight?

Thats a great capture..

Pound for pound + the dirty nature of there fight they are about hardest there is.

If they grew as big as marlin they would pull them backwards..

They are awesome on plate if looked after :) ..

Well done ..

Cheers...steve....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Fishraiders

This is my first fishing report. After landing a 40cm drummer last week, I decided to give it another shot this weekend to see if I could do better.

I arrived at my favorite rock just below the Royal National Park about 1 hour before high tide. The swell was pretty rough. Banana prawns for bait on a paternoster rig. In the first 40mins or so I caught a few small trevallies, which I threw back, and had my bait nibbled off by small fish, but I knew there were some big mosters down there so I persisted and when the high tide was at it's peak my rod went down! Now this fish pulled hard! Aussie salmon don't even compare to the power of this fish. I played the fish for a while, trying not to let it dive down into the rocks where it could cut my line. I was lucky that the waves were big as I used them to my advantage to lift the fish up onto the rocks. I had the biggest smile on my face at that moment.

th_IMGP0654_zps84fdadc5.jpg

th_IMGP0655_zpsfdc7f83a.jpg

After landing the fish I re-baited and cast back into the same spot. Straight away I was on and it was pulling even harder than the previous! Trouble struck and the drag on my old reel locked up and the line snapped! It must have been an absolute monster.

Guess what's for dinner tonight?

Top Catch mate, I've always wanted to go to the RNP and get some drummers, I've heard stories of monsters there, But I have no idea where to go, doesnt sound very safe either.

I know you prob dont want to give away your secret spot, but at least can you tell me if its hard to get to, and if it is dangerous ?

Thanks!

Do you skin it before you fillet a drummer? I caught one at Lurline the other day, after a number of bustoff's I was so stoked to catch something. Went to fillet it straight away and basically hacked the thing into bits :ranting2:

Got a sharper knife now, but is it easier to prepare with skin off first?

Do you skin it before you fillet a drummer? I caught one at Lurline the other day, after a number of bustoff's I was so stoked to catch something. Went to fillet it straight away and basically hacked the thing into bits :ranting2:

Got a sharper knife now, but is it easier to prepare with skin off first?

Nah - don't skin before you fillet. Just make sure you scale first around the edges and have a v. sharp knife to fillet with as the skin is tough to cut through. The rib-cage also takes some cutting through so a second serrated knife helps to finish the fillets off.

Bottom line is that these aren't flatties or whiting and filleting them takes a bit of practice and perserverance.