Holiday Fish Tales

alexit

So I have just returned from 3 weeks holiday and the first thing that came to mind this morning as I woke to the sound of a siren was why in hell am I living in this good city......

I left Syd with the boat in tow for a long drive up the coast and spent near a week dealing with far north coast flooding, an oncoming flu and family things before settling into Evans Head just on the end of the first major flush the river has seen in a long time. Went right down to the wall to try to spin up a jew where I found a couple of guys with the same idea. No one had much luck but I was told they were on the chew big time up the beach the day before.......'should have been round yesterday mate!'

The fresh was quite big for such a small river and really shut down the bite in the river for a good few days.....I just sat on my casting hands and relaxed.....

One good thing bout all that fresh water coming down was that it tends to stir up some of the river residents and this guy came to say hello...

post-300-1121514281_thumb.jpg

Now I was rapt as not only did I pick him up in a trap right out the front of the old mans house where I had not got one for 15 odd years, but rach had never had a feed of fresh muddie! All she said was '....can we get these in Sydney!'

I was also glad to find that the local yabbie population was very healthy and spend a good night on the river during the last of the run in where the salt was pushing back against the fresh. The breambos were on fire with a few for the table and the rest back with there mates. Most were round the high 20s with a few odd 30s..

Ended the week in Evans with a bit of of a looksee and glad to see the river in good health and with most of the upper reaches in National park, I get the feeling it will be that way for quite a while.

We left Evans early as the fishing classic was starting and the old man had rented the house so the only thing for it was to break the long trip back to Syd with a stopover midway....5 days at South West Rocks it was then!

We had been to SWR only once before with a quick stopover and loved the place so we got a cabin at the park on back creek, put the boat in and went for a bit of a look round.

The river was cold and fishing slow but we soon found the bream round the racks. A change to the hawgs and 2nd cast a come up on a screamer bream that went 38cm and a new pb. A few more smaller bream for me and a few wee flatties for Rach saw us finishing the first day on this river quite chuffed :biggrin2:

Next morn I went out alone in the rain to check out the bridge on this guy hammered me from under the trawlers up there...

post-300-1121514352_thumb.jpg

He went 39cm and fat as..... and another new pb :1clap:

The bridge looked good and the tide was a 6.30pm low so we spent a nice warm arvo getting some live mullet to swim with the hope of an evening jew.

The night was slightly chilly and as the tide slowed the sounder showed a bit of sub activity.....no interest at all in the livies.....BUT I was spending my time casing out in the dark and swimming a plastic back with the tide....and it paid off.

The hit came hard and after a bit of initial run and a few stunts near the boat I had my first jewfish in the net :1clap: and he came in on a SP :1clap::1clap:

post-300-1121514455_thumb.jpg

I was a very happy lad for sure. He came in at only 51cm so only a littlin....but a jew never the less. I have been reading up on these creatures and there habits for quite a while and although I had often during a session had a half arsed poke around for them, this was the first time I have gone out looking exclusivly for a jew. No bream baits or anyting else...I went out to get a jew. I also think that if we gave away the idea of the live mullet on the night allowing us to move round on the lekkie and cover more ground we would have picked up a few more too. Next time.

Our last day was spent seeing sights round this beaut place but in the arvo I took the fly down to a very still back creak to get some casting practice in. I had not really given the fly that much a go as the wind had been a bit hard over the weeks but my casing was inproving and the rig was starting to feel more natural in hand.I had moved round to the beach at the enterance and was casting across and into the outgoing creek and letting the tide take the fly out before stripping back in to the beach. Last cast to show Rach my form and......

Yep...even though he was foul hooked I am still counting it.... another first for me in a fish on fly! :risata:

post-300-1121515587_thumb.jpg

He fell to a really bad home baitfish fly on a WF7F rig. :1naughty:

A good end to a good holiday.

alex

Edited by alexit

Guest bluecod

Sounds like the type of holiday we could all do with - half your luck and congrats on the PB bream, jew and fly caught :074: a fish is a fish!

Great report Alex,

very enjoyable read and well done with the PBs. SWR is a great place, we usually take the kids up once or twice a year to Sandbar, which is the next spot north of SWR. Good to see you got plenty of action, even the tiddler on the fly, just have to get ready for the salmon day now.

Thanks guys. It was great to get some time off work and get out of the city. SWR is such a nice place to be..... and I will be going back that is a sure thing. Next time any of you guys is up the far north coast, give evans a go. It really does have a lot of potential, esp in the upper reaches. Good local knowledge talks of quite a healthy jack population too!

alex

Thanks guys. It was great to get some time off work and get out of the city. SWR is such a nice place to be..... and I will be going back that is a sure thing. Next time any of you guys is up the far north coast, give evans a go. It really does have a lot of potential, esp in the upper reaches. Good local knowledge talks of quite a healthy jack population too!

alex

58443[/snapback]

Next time youre at SWR take the time to go to Hat Head its Gods paradise for rock fishing if you know where to go