Middle Harbour & Roseville

MrChipsnSalad

Took the tinny for a run up to middle harbour. Tried the moorings first up, on the southern side of the channel. Not even a touch. Ventured out to the naval base east of Balmoral, and found more of the same. Tried to drift, but the wind was taking us almost as fast as the 25hp. Increased the lead, but still no go. Got wet as we splashed our way back up to Roseville. Had to fill up the tank at the marina at Middle Harbour (begins with D) - and they charge like wounded bulls. they only offered premium unleaded, and it was a $1.68 a liter as I recall :thumbdown:

Unloaded the berly under the bridge at Roseville, and tried again. Anchored for about an hour, and berleyed like mad. Zip, niks and nothing. Finally drifted back to the ramp, and dragged a few pilleys along. Tried pilleys and prawns every stop, but could hardly find a nibble. Tally for the day - one throw back bream, three cold guys, 10L unleaded, packet of pillys, a few prawns, a bag of crisps and 3 cokes.

Guest Jocool

You ain't the only one in Middle Harbour that got a big fat ZIPPO! :wacko: Looks like the fishing is pretty shut down at the moment.

gee, that makes me feel better about not getting out this week. Mind you it was blowing all weekend and that is not much fun at the best of times in winter. The good thing about fishing is, there's always tomorrow.

harold

Add to that Manly were a disgrace yesterday arvo and are looking like missing the 8, and its was weekend that leaves you on a real low. :thumbdown:

I took my kayak out at Balmoral and had to hold onto one of the moorings to stop myself being blown away, whilst I fished with sp's. Caught nothing but a cold, no bites, lost my best lure to a snag. I ended up scraping some mussels off the bottom of a boat for my lunch, I should have stayed in bed.

Add to that Manly were a disgrace yesterday arvo and are looking like missing the 8, and its was weekend that leaves you on a real low. :thumbdown:

I took my kayak out at Balmoral and had to hold onto one of the moorings to stop myself being blown away, whilst I fished with sp's. Caught nothing but a cold, no bites, lost my best lure to a snag. I ended up scraping some mussels off the bottom of a boat for my lunch, I should have stayed in bed.

58343[/snapback]

Don't even talk to me about Manly. Went to the game, and wished I hadn't. As for the harbour, I won't be going out there for some time.

Heard a rumour about some fair sized black bream being pulled out by a mate of mine who fishes off the wharf at the 16ft Sailing Club - he works there as a barman. I may wait for a less windy day, and put in at Little Manly, and chase these rumoured fish. Another mate has a yacht moored at North Harbour, and he has mentioned seeing yakka's in the area whilst working on the yacht. So may also try and pick up some yakka's and chase JD's. But it won't be in the wind.....

Guest Jewel

We were out there as well, pretty ordinary!!!

A couple of little bream up to 35cm, 2 trevally (best 45cm) and a little flatty.

Bloody cold and windy and not much to show for the work put in!!!

Hate to see this guys but, that is fishing. I was talking to a mate of mine the other day and saying how for every 3 - 4 trips I make out fishing, on average its only about 1 that is good to very good, sometimes 0, sometimes a couple. It took me 5 trips to Middle Harbour over the last couple of months to have one memorable afternoon with Bluecod when we came across some salmon. Two trips since then to Middle Harbour and Balmoral, for only a couple of throw backs, thats fishing. If you caught a bucket full of fish every time you went out, how much fish would be left? Besides, every trip out is a learning experience and you get out on the water.

:1fishing1::1fishing1: I must admit that fishing in middle harbour can be pretty lousy, BUT me and my mate (Forrest Gump) fished Sailors Bay for 8 good sized leatherjackets and then the back of Bantry Bay for 3 pansized bream and a few throw backs. Yep, we had to berley hard but at least we got a feed. I must admit that I grew up in the Roseville area and have a bit of inside info where to have a go and when.For example; Echo Park on the opposite side of the boat ramp, at night, rising tide, fish with no sinker using mullet gut and a bit of crushed wheat for berlet has given me a few good bream. Give it a go and ggod luck. :1fishing1:

Took the tinny for a run up to middle harbour. Tried the moorings first up, on the southern side of the channel. Not even a touch. Ventured out to the naval base east of Balmoral, and found more of the same. Tried to drift, but the wind was taking us almost as fast as the 25hp. Increased the lead, but still no go. Got wet as we splashed our way back up to Roseville. Had to fill up the tank at the marina at Middle Harbour (begins with D) - and they charge like wounded bulls. they only offered premium unleaded, and it was a $1.68 a liter as I recall :thumbdown:

Unloaded the berly under the bridge at Roseville, and tried again. Anchored for about an hour, and berleyed like mad. Zip, niks and nothing. Finally drifted back to the ramp, and dragged a few pilleys along. Tried pilleys and prawns every stop, but could hardly find a nibble. Tally for the day - one throw back bream, three cold guys, 10L unleaded, packet of pillys, a few prawns, a bag of crisps and 3 cokes.

58321[/snapback]