LITTLE MAKO SHARK

craigbutcher

when you guys burley up, do you anchor or just drift? how deep do you normally fish?

HI Mate,

We always berley at anchor, let the current do it's job and take the berley away from the boat. We have been fishing around the 20-30m mark - more likely the 20m mark.

Interesting to note however, the MAKO was caught in a zone on the reef where there was not much current running.

Thanks

Butch

Nice Mako Butch!

Is that the best way to bleed them - a slice on the back of the neck?

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yeh bud, i cut just below the head, make a small cut in the tail & and trim the gills a little.

I then get a rope and tie the fish off so the bloods runs outside the boat (Beats filling the boat with blood as it flows quit fast from the MAKO'S).

The guts smell really bad too, so it's an option to gut them whilst the fish is hanging under the water, to reduce the fumes!

However, in saying this, I am no expert and there is probably better alternatives out there for them!

Regards

Butch

Hi Pete,

Yeh bud, i cut just below the head, make a small cut in the tail & and trim the gills a little.

I then get a rope and tie the fish off so the bloods runs outside the boat (Beats filling the boat with blood as it flows quit fast from the MAKO'S).

The guts smell really bad too, so it's an option to gut them whilst the fish is hanging under the water, to reduce the fumes!

However, in saying this, I am no expert and there is probably better alternatives out there for them!

Regards

Butch

Thanks for the tips Butch - gutting them under water and tying them off outside the boat sound like very good ideas!

be carfull when cleaning it overboard they make good bait for bigger makos and others.seen one been bit off just behind dorsil fin in one go buy much much bigger mako

just be carfull

jim

Wow, I was told that before too Jim, however, I am yet to see it play out.

They are wild creatures the Makos!

ava4u4av.jpg

I've seen it twice and it's scarey having a fish monstered by a big shark over the side of boat... I knew the guys on this boat and it happened just easy of Fingal light, the shark in the mouth was 70 kg and tied to the back of the boat... The big shark had terrorized a small boat so much the guy got off and left the boat!!! Big shark estimated at 20 ft plus!!!

FAR OUT MATE! That is a scary image! It would probably flip my boat with one roll! Shivers!

Butch

ava4u4av.jpg

I've seen it twice and it's scarey having a fish monstered by a big shark over the side of boat... I knew the guys on this boat and it happened just easy of Fingal light, the shark in the mouth was 70 kg and tied to the back of the boat... The big shark had terrorized a small boat so much the guy got off and left the boat!!! Big shark estimated at 20 ft plus!!!

Looks like something from Jaws!