LONG REEF SNAPPER SESSION

craigbutcher

HI Raiders,

Fished longy Saturday morning from 4am till 7:30am.

Usual methods, work the reef for squid, then berley and wait for the reds to play the game.

25mins into berleying, the small outfit with 10lb mono screams off, close to spooling we lock up, and ping! all over. GOOD RED LOST! BIG HEAD SHAKES!

Landed a couple more reds around the 60cm or so and some pannies.

post-11981-030524800 1350855782_thumb.jpg

Nothing special, however, good to see the water spring up over 18degrees!

post-11981-005080700 1350855785_thumb.jpg

Good catch - how do you avoid the sweep? - seem to be plagues of them out there scoffing all the berley!

Chris

G'day chris,

Plenty of berley stil gets through the sweep, that always concerns me, however, when you open the snapper up, they are often full of berley. So it still gets through them...

Another option is berley bread on the surface to keep the sweep pre-occupied and throw cubes away from them.

Dont let the sweep decieve you, they look like they grabbing all the berley, however, they have small mouths and only nibble on falling berley.

Butch

hi butch, what depth were the snapper in and where they full of eggs??

Hi Mate,

I didnt notice any EGGS mate, however, heard from some local fishos they are spawning.

How long does the spawning run last mate? They seem to be hitting baits with more agression than a month ago

Butch

Hi Mate,

I didnt notice any EGGS mate, however, heard from some local fishos they are spawning.

How long does the spawning run last mate? They seem to be hitting baits with more agression than a month ago

Butch

we fluked some on the weekend and they were full of eggs but i dont know how long they spawn for, i was hoping you might know..:1fishing1:

Would fishing long reef in a 3.9m tinny be a safe option ? Been out there on bigger boats but never thought could do it in my smaller boat !

Just asking because the boat your in doesn't look too much bigger then mine but then again can't really tell for sure from pix !

Cheers raiders,

Jez

Would fishing long reef in a 3.9m tinny be a safe option ? Been out there on bigger boats but never thought could do it in my smaller boat !

Just asking because the boat your in doesn't look too much bigger then mine but then again can't really tell for sure from pix !

Cheers raiders,

Jez

Yeh Jez, mine is only 4m. Centre console, alluminium, 30HP 4 STROKE.

The thing with smaller boats, is it makes the treacherous longreef boat ramp more manageable. I have heard of cars sucked into the water by the surge, so a small light boat makes it a lot easier.

Boats get banged and scraped everyday off long reef boat ramp, and a small boat is more easily manageable!

Butch

re: 3.9m tinnie outside.

I'd think again about that... just one wave over the side of a tinny puts you in serious trouble, and outside especially, who knows where a near-submerged hull might drift.

A very high freeboard all 'round, including the transom by the motor, is crucial to preventing swamping, and then loads of positive floatation. Power in the motor is always a plus. Centre console, at least 30hp (on a small boat) and high freeboard are essential. I'd be more happy with 60hp+ and at least 5m.

Forget longreef boat ramp in all but the calmest of the few calm southerly days, and in under 4m tinnie, I'd forget outside too. Downside risk of a swamping should never be forgotten in the rush to get a fishing session in. Also, even the non-fatal downside risk of wrecking your tinnie or its motor in the surf at the boatramp will surely ruin the fun. Even an early session is going to end mid-morning, by which time the wind and swell can pick up significantly over the calm of dawn.

If you'd like to try offshore, use a boat fit for purpose and take advantage of the fact that such a boat will make quick work of getting outside from any properly protected boatramp such as Rowland Reserve. There are plenty of boats available for purchase or hire.

BTW, good snapper are available in deep water in the estuaries in spring - just drop down a good piece of squid and some burly into a deep hole over boulders and see what you can pull out.

How long does it take you to get to the spot on Longy from the ramp Butch?. Ive been hanging to get out there but id probly launch at Tunks, so im not sure how much longer it would take from there.

Edited by GaryO

Gday mate, doesnt take very long from the longy boat ramp, however, be aware it needs to be dead flat to launch otherwise its completely dangerous. Cars slide into the surf here, as it's a beach ramp, covered in moss. From Tunks park, it's probably a good 5kms. Butch