Outboard selection for 8 foot punt

daniel944

Hi All

I have a 8 foot punt that I use to go to places like the Nepean away from the boat ramp (Camden, cobbity etc). I have been using a minn kota electric outboard presently but I would like to buy a petrol outboard. Obviously 6hp is the upper limit as I dont want to pay for boat rego, but I am fearful that a 6hp might just rip my poor little punt apart! Also as I dont have a trailer for this boat and I usually have to carry the boat a distance from the car to the water so light weight is good!

What recommendations can people make? I am partial to Tohatsu's, having owned a few of them over the years but am open to other suggestions. I am planning to buy new, but would consider a few year old motor if anyone wants to sell one?

Thanks

Daniel

Guest Aussie007

Hi All

I have a 8 foot punt that I use to go to places like the Nepean away from the boat ramp (Camden, cobbity etc). I have been using a minn kota electric outboard presently but I would like to buy a petrol outboard. Obviously 6hp is the upper limit as I dont want to pay for boat rego, but I am fearful that a 6hp might just rip my poor little punt apart! Also as I dont have a trailer for this boat and I usually have to carry the boat a distance from the car to the water so light weight is good!

What recommendations can people make? I am partial to Tohatsu's, having owned a few of them over the years but am open to other suggestions. I am planning to buy new, but would consider a few year old motor if anyone wants to sell one?

Thanks

Daniel

8 foot punts are tiny i had a 8 foot tinny i put a 8hp on it man that thing absolutely hammered it was actually scary with two adults on board lol i think 4hp would be ideal for your boat it would allow your punt to plane with 1 person and u can get a jetski trolley they are designed for stand up jetskis and small tinnies there around $55 has small wheels all u would need to do is load the tinnie onto the trolley put on your engine and wheel it down to the water toss the trolley into your tinnie and away u go :thumbup:

I agree with Gazza , 4hp would do the job but if the budget allows the 6hp gives you a bit up your sleve should the need arise. Also , the 6hp could be run at half to three quarter throttle to give a similar performance to the 4hp at full throttle.

The wheels are a good idea & worth considering.

Here are a 4 options ,,

http://www.biasboating.com.au/Pair_Tinnie_Movers_p/4873.htm

Geoff

Hi, I have two good second hand 8HP Mercs are good prices at the moment and any single cylinder 4-Stroke is not a good performer and does not run that smooth due to the design.

I would look at a twin cylinder carby engine if I was going to power such a boat.

Cheers,

Huey.