Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Bream

joking fish

I tried to find a spot that a mate told me about on the Pittwater side of Barenjoey Light-House. It turned out to be a wild goose chase. So this moring I drove back to the ferry wharf at Palm Beach and began my usual habit of fishing with ganged Pilchards on 3 size 2/0 hooks. It began slow but all of sudden the rod bent over big time. After a dirty fight, I netted this mamoth 38cm Bream which is a new PB for me. I've been telling people I'm yet to catch a big Bream or Flathead. Now I can tick one of those off the list. The big Flatty still alludues me but i'm sure i'll get one before the cold returns next year. This Palm Beach spot has produced for me a PB Salmon of 58cm, a massive PB Fan Belly Leather Jacket and now a PB Bream 38cm. On top of all this I lost another big Salmon and a Bream that was around the same size, maybe even bigger! Not bad for 1.5 hours of fishing. The Northern Beaches is a location that keeps on giving. It's well worth the trip and as Summer approaches the fishing will only get better.

post-16627-067407900 1351650254_thumb.jpg

I tried to find a spot that a mate told me about on the Pittwater side of Barenjoey Light-House. It turned out to be a wild goose chase. So this moring I drove back to the ferry wharf at Palm Beach and began my usual habit of fishing with ganged Pilchards on 3 size 2/0 hooks. It began slow but all of sudden the rod bent over big time. After a dirty fight, I netted this mamoth 38cm Bream which is a new PB for me. I've been telling people I'm yet to catch a big Bream or Flathead. Now I can tick one of those off the list. The big Flatty still alludues me but i'm sure i'll get one before the cold returns next year. This Palm Beach spot has produced for me a PB Salmon of 58cm, a massive PB Fan Belly Leather Jacket and now a PB Bream 38cm. On top of all this I lost another big Salmon and a Bream that was around the same size, maybe even bigger! Not bad for 1.5 hours of fishing. The Northern Beaches is a location that keeps on giving. It's well worth the trip and as Summer approaches the fishing will only get better.

Nice bream!

But I can only wonder why you are using size 2/0 hooks, I think you would be better served to use smaller hooks if you are targeting breams, like size 2 or size 4. I have found a better strike rate and hookup rate with smaller hooks for bream.

Good luck on your next one!