Electrolysis

Livie

Im interested in finding out the facts regarding this dreded infection on Alloy boats.

Some say, Insulate every screw with a nylon washer ect And some say dont and make sure its grounded to the hull.

The latter sounds correct to me as long as the motor is also grounded to the hull and then the lesser metals or more noble(anode) can do there job.

Are there any books , or web sites that I can learn more from? Or any imput from clued up Fishraiders?

Ive got a plate tinny(5 years old) Under the hull Is as smooth and shinny as ever. Some 304 stainless screws and fittings are insulated and some are not.

The only Electrolysis Ive found is on the anchor bow spirit (Furthest away from motor?)

Also, I every now and then remove my Anodes and clean them up on the belt grinder, To make a fresh Zinc surface to do its majical thing. Is that a good idea ? or not.

Regards

Mick

Don't confuse electrolysis with corrosion. different metals may cause corrosion in a marine environment, but elctrolysis occurs when there is an electrical current going through the hull and the water or something like that. I remember learning about it all in year 10 science. :wacko:

Here's how I understand it ...

Corrosion is what the sacrificial annodes on the outboard are to die for, least noble metal goes first.

Electrolysis is the oxyidation of alluminium ... this happens to all exposed surfaces AND under poorly quality paintwork, the paint will bubble.

If you get a painted hull, get a coat of EPOXY undercoat to help insulate the metal.

Best way to speed both processes up would be to leave the battery switched on :thumbdown:

Use a battery isolator :thumbup: