Best way to catch baitfish like yakka

Juniorlenny

For yakka use a light rod using either a bait jig, which you can by at most tackle stores, or either baits such as pilchard, prawn, squid etc with a small hook and little to no weight (you can use two hooks for better success)

Good luck, :biggrin2:

Mr fish

Burly up before you start, not to much though, I find small peices of pilchard fillet to be the best, very small peices of prawn does the trick also. Keep burlying lightly as you fish for them as they will stuff their guts with burly if you go to hard.

Yakkas are generally easy to catch, you will have days when you are catching them non stop, days where it take 3 hours to get 5 or 6 and day where it dosnt matter what you do it will feel like the yakkas are extinct.

Fishingphase

i learnt from a little greek Yoda at Greenwich. Tiny bit of chicken fillet on about a size 10, just off the bottom, with a running sinker. As soon as you feel the nibble lift the rod. If theres nothing just let it settle again. They seem to be pretty persistant :)

• 2 weeks later...

This works for us every-time when we get em on the boat, also has worked off wharves as well

Burley with bread - White $1 stuff from supermarket, rub the bread in your hands and itll crumb up straight away, another way is soak the break in water and throw it at the surface really hard, itll break it up a bit, fish will go crazy on the bread (if you buy it the night before leave the bag open and itll go a bit stale and make it easier to crumb up)

Use a sabaki bait jig (6 hook) during summer most of the time you can catch yakkas with nothing on the jig just put a sinker on the bottom and drop it down. I usually use my kingy rod to get the yakkas because my lighter rods are set up for squid/trolling lures and I usually have a snap swivel to change the jig over and put my kingy rig on (I just like to be organised) - if you want to have "fun" catching bait then i guess you could use a light rod but to me it doesnt make a different, the fun starts when the yakkas get demolished by a kingy ;)

If the yakkas arent smashing the bait jig then cut it in half and fillet a pilly, cut into little 5mm cubes and put them on the hooks (reason you need to cut the jig in half is you cant bait more than 3 hooks at a time on the one rig)

Keep the burley going, the more burley the crazier the fish go ! get the jig right into the middle of the bait ball and you should hook up. The fish will get in a complete frenzy and depending on the spot your at we had yakkas tailor and kings all round us last time we went out.

I was catching heaps of yakkas the other day at roseville on a size 4 suicide hook with half a peeled prawn, but i was targeting bream mainly