Nice flatty on HB

jenno64

Had a 2 hour window yesterday arvo so I hit a spot up the Georges where I got a couple of nice fish a fortnight ago. The tide was into the last half of the runout and I caught and released plenty of smaller flatties, bream and whiting in the first hour. Noticed a tick one one of my lines and the tip stopped vibrating and bent slightly back. I lifted the rod out of the holder and applied some pressure, at first not much resistance as the line came onto the spool pretty easily but then as the leader peeked out of the water, I realised the was some serious weight below. Got my first glimpse of a very nice flatty and after a few minutes of her ducking and weaving near the surface, I slid her into the big net and of course, she went ballistic and flew back out into the drink. One more attempt and she was netted, I slipped the grips onto her lower jaw and peddaled over to a nearby beach to measure (84cm), photograph and release her. She sulked a bit but after a few minutes of swimming her, she slid back into the muddy depths. Took two 40s back home for dinner and I'll be back out there again next week!

post-4017-095443200 1352003587_thumb.jpg

post-4017-009652900 1352003622_thumb.jpg

Top fish Rob and your pliers will also be ok as scissors for an entry into the COTM if you desire as they are cutters as well.

Regards Stewy

Great session Rob, looks like you have found a reliable part of the river. I assume most of the fish are being caught whilst trolling behind the kayak.

Yep I troll with a line out either side of the yak and one hand held down the middle.

That way I can run 3 different lures. I do get some monumental tangles at times when it's not a straight forward drift!

Yep I troll with a line out either side of the yak and one hand held down the middle.

That way I can run 3 different lures. I do get some monumental tangles at times when it's not a straight forward drift!

whoa 3 lines mate, do you reel the 2 other lines in before fighting a fish?

i only troll 2 lines max and i find it dangerous :)

whoa 3 lines mate, do you reel the 2 other lines in before fighting a fish?

i only troll 2 lines max and i find it dangerous :)

I only have 3 lines out if the tide and wind are easy to manage. Even when the drift is good I still come up with some braided nightmares. The key is to have the deepest lure just behind the yak with the others out wide. I also zig zag down current which allows one lure to slow down each turn and some of my biggest fish have been caught on a lure that has been almost stalled.