EPIRB battery replacement

njsconst

I have a GME MT400 EPIRB and according to the sticker on the side the battery is due for replacement in May 2013.

Does anybody know how I do this...is it something you can do yourself?

I have had a quick look on the internet and if I have to ship it back to GME to do I might as well just purchase a new unit as they want over $200 to change the battery....what a joke!

Any help would be appreciated.

Nathan

Your post prompted me to check mine but not due untill Sept 2015.

In respect to the cost , I agree $200 is rather steep even though it includes servicing & testing.

With new ones selling for around $280 plus a free battery / servicing after 6 years , a new unit is looking rather attractive with no outlay untill 2024

Whilst this is most likely a sales gimmick / promation to sell more units it would be nice if they extended the offer to battery replacements for units sold prior to August especially when they capitilised on the high demand through 2008 / 2009 & were charging well over $400 for the MT400.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

I just bought a (non GME) unit with 10yr battery life.

For almost any EPIRB or PLT battery replacement is a factory specified requirement because battery condition, frequency stability and output power has to be checked. These are critical for proper performance. On the older units the long term stability was unknown and with newer units the data gathered by servicing the old units at battery expiry is allowing them (newer) to have longer service intervals (not sure I explained that very well). They are important checks and not just about putting new batteries in.

In respect to the cost , I agree $200 is rather steep even though it includes servicing & testing.

With new ones selling for around $280 plus a free battery / servicing after 6 years , a new unit is looking rather attractive with no outlay untill 2024

Whilst this is most likely a sales gimmick / promation to sell more units it would be nice if they extended the offer to battery replacements for units sold prior to August especially when they capitilised on the high demand through 2008 / 2009 & were charging well over $400 for the MT400.

Geoff

Geoff I agree that this a marketing scam. I paid $650 for mine when they were first released trying to do the right thing and put safety first.

Geoff

Everything that is a must to do with boating I have found has some sort of scam.. hence the old saying..BOAT--Break Out Another Thousand...but in saying that, Geoff you mentioned $280 for an EPIRB... where can I get one that cheap?

Geoff you mentioned $280 for an EPIRB... where can I get one that cheap?

The basic MT400 / 406 manually activated with out GPS ,

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?item=74522&search123=74522&intAbsolutePage=1

With GPS $390.

Water activated are more expensive.

Check with Craig ( Huey) . He may be able to shave a few more $$$ off those prices

Geoff