Massive Cephalopod

cheap charlie

Found half a dozen squid in 20 minutes while my mate tested his new sounder.

Hooked into this horse in about a meter of water. Gave me hell on my state of the art 20 year old Rex Hunt combo.

Didn't have a measure with us but the esky is over a couple of feet in length.

Second image is of my buddy getting his picture taken no doubt so he can claim it as his own on Face Book. Note the random sticker on the back of the boat

post-18770-026335000 1352367048_thumb.jpg

post-18770-059617800 1352367344_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cheap Charlie

I've read several times that they only live for about a year, so it would be around a year old.

Is there a easy way to determine male from female with these guys?

Can any one confirm what species they are? We have always just called them Green Eye?

One reasonably sized unit I caught a few weeks back was loaded with row. Gave the squid a miss for a few weeks to let them lay their eggs.

This guy had neither row or millet.

Is there a easy way to determine male from female with these guys?

Can any one confirm what species they are? We have always just called them Green Eye?

One reasonably sized unit I caught a few weeks back was loaded with row. Gave the squid a miss for a few weeks to let them lay their eggs.

This guy had neither row or millet.

They are commonly known as Green Eye.

Southern Calamari I believe.

That's a honker & about a year old as said.

Well done.

Cheers,

Grant

Mate I've caught some great squid before that thing is a monster.

On telling te sex me and u mate where talking about this recently and I think the males are thinner through the tube. Like that one. Usually I find the thick ones have the eggs.

Squid usually die after breeding as it takes so much energy and the breed once a year. But in saying that I'm sure there is exceptions to the rule maybe this was just a tough old squid.

Mmmm tasty

For southern calamari you can tell males from females base on their skin pattern. The females have spots and the males do not. Once they die you will no longer be able to tell. In the attached pic there is a big male and some females in the livewell. You can see the females have the spots and the male does not.

post-6215-69900_thumb.jpg

Edited by fishmaniac