Saturday quietness

lostproperty

Knowing the weather was a bit on te dodgy side decided to head out anyway as my mate is off overseas soon for a little while and we wanted to get in as many sessions as we can.

We started out getting yakkas and landed an absolute horse around 30cm which we kept for a slab bait, always ambitious tho I chucked him in the bait tank and told my mate I was gona send him out as a lively, his response, anything big enough to take that bait will explode your reel...hmmmm point taken !

On the way to have a quick squid we see schools of fish busting up in upper harbour flick lured at them but no luck troll through them and double hook up - we think anyway? No drag being pulled but pull the Ross out and were both onto tiny tailor.

Go have a quick squid and I mange to entice a baby one out of the beds gets on the jig and I watch it squirt ink do a 360 underwater and fall of !!! Couldn't find anymore so we bailed to north head. Saw something on the sounder and sent out livies but nothing so we pinned them trough the nose an trolled out towards the opening of the harbour, stopped right at the corner and our livies hit the bottom, go to wind it in an there's something pulling on both our livies, I slowly get my up cause it feels like a squid, and there Is a monster on my livey, he drops it a few times but keeps coming back for more, trying to slowly get him beside the boat but then all of a sudden it's ripped the yakka off before I can get it close enough to put a net behind it, meanwhile my mate has a cuttlefish that has swallowed everything, we cut that loose and make way for longreef.

Bit windy and choppy but not many boats out there, not alot happening at all few boats pulling in rats and we have out livies out which don't get touched, flicking a slick rig drop bear off the back of the boat I hook up, once again on my 6lb setup and by the time I get the rat king in the boat my shoulder is burning !

Other than that nothing happening out at longy, head out wide for a drift nothing on there except pickers, not even any flatties, catch a small gurnard and that's it.

Head back to north head and sit inside the head drifting some livies around and flicking these drop bear slick rig. All of a sudden my rod goes off ! Then just dead weight, doesn't feel like a king, bring it up and it'd a baby bronze whaler. Wanted to get it into the boat for a quick photo so my Kate grabs the gaff, gets a shot on the inside of the bottom jaw, shark doesn't like that thrashes around and rips the gaff out of his hand, cuts my leader with his teeth and swims off with our gaff in his mouth. Had enough so we go home.

We've had a pretty good run the last few months so we were probably due for a dud day soon. If anyone catches a shark with a 5/0 live bait hook and a gaff in its mouth please let us know ! Hahah