Fish Thief

kermadum

So we were out blackfishing yesterday off Middlehead.

I'd caught one nice little fish (about 35cm) that I put in the keeper net and left in a rock pool that was about 1ft deep. A few minutes later there was a loud splash and the net was moving about, more than I expected my fish to be doing. We went to investigate and found this...

Edited by kermadum

My guess (based on zero knowledge, but a quick google search) is that it's a Spotted Wobbegong. We couldn't believe it. We got totally distracted from the fishing and spent a lot of time just looking at him (and feeding him the odd frozen prawn).

Funny as soon as i saw the topic i knew what it was about that happened to me me at Little Beach Nelson Bay about 10 years ago had 10 good blackfish in my net only to find a wobbygong had a feed on the lot ... It was great to watch tore a great big hole In my keeper net ... It's funny but I have have actually thought small blackfish might make good live bait...

Not 100%b sure about livebait but plenty of jewie anglers use blackfish fillets on the bigger fish. I'm sure a decent jew or wobbegong for that matter wouldn't hesitate in scoffing one down though!

Funny as soon as i saw the topic i knew what it was about that happened to me me at Little Beach Nelson Bay about 10 years ago had 10 good blackfish in my net only to find a wobbygong had a feed on the lot ... It was great to watch tore a great big hole In my keeper net ... It's funny but I have have actually thought small blackfish might make good live bait...

10!!!! Ouch!!!! I was glad we only had one. I was happy to part with it for the experience, I think I may have been less impressed about giving up 10!!

I did read a story about some bloke in a tinny watching a jew belly up moving ever so slightly past his tinny kicking with what little strength he had left, he got it on board opened its mouth to find a blackfish jammed in one side of its gills.

Obviously the Jew has gone to chow down on this blackfish, it's to late for the black fish because hes already been swallowed but he thinks "stuff this, I'm outa here" hits turbo warp speed and wedges himself.

Fishingphase