Picking up a new boat on Sunday-any advice?

Mutt

Hey! Well I have the green light from all involved and after some negotiation I'm taking a boat out on the water for a test run, hopefully to buy there and then. I have had a small tinny for the last few years and am upgrading to a mid 2000's 5m aluminum boat with a 60hp 2 stroke Yamaha. Have already had a visual inspection of boat and engine and the seller is taking me out on the water on Sunday for a final test. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or helpful hints for the water test or just for a new boat owner? Thanks...

When you test the boat, run it just how you intend to use it, load it up and drive it without being overly afraid of breaking something. Don't flog it but don't baby it either.

Ask basic maintenance questions... when was the impellor last changed... has the prop been changed or the gearbox been rebuilt.... If there is obvious touch up paint on boat or motor then ask why. Look at through hull or attachment fittings and make sure they are sealed and there is no blistering around them. Look for dings and damage where it's been taken off and on the trailer.

When running listen for excessive vibration of the motor and for items vibrating heavily in the boat structure. Does the motor run smoothly and is it free of excessive mechanical noise coming from inside the block. Does the starter engage smoothly and without screeching. Is there oil and fuel leakage in the cowling. Are the electrical connections and wires in good condition - look for wires that have the insulation cracked. The paint on the engine block should be uniform and not broken excessively by rust or flaky white corrosion.

Do a compression check and make sure it is within specs including the variation between cylinders. If it is running rough and the owner has been playing with carby settings or has rebuilt one then beware a lean carb can kill the bearings due to lack of lubrication.

Check the steering for binding. Check the motor tilts smoothly. Does it accelerate smoothly and willingly. Does it make max rpm as recommended by the engine maker. Are the controls smooth. Does it engage gear smoothly. Does it jump out of gear unexpectedly.

Do the lights work, do the instruments work, do any included electronics work? Check the battery box, the terminals and it's date code. If not maintenance free then take off a couple of cell caps and check the plates are well covered by electrolyte.

Look under the gunwales and lift up flooring if possible to see if there are any cracks, popped rivets, broken fittings, displaced gunwale rubber or bent/broken cleats.

Do a REVS check. Check the HIN/boat code matches the paperwork. Get a copy of the owners drivers license and make sure it matches the rego papers for name and address. Do the same for the trailer.

Most of all - have fun.

Hey mate

Congrats i can relate ro your excitement.

Only bought my first boat two weeks ago. Spoke to plenty of marine mechanics and they all said a compression test and a good run with plenty of WOT will highlight any issues. Comp test is easy as and takes ten minutes.

Obviously just test everything including tail lights, nav lights, sounder, radio etc as these little things add up to a nice bill if you have to repair.

Good luck.

Wow! Thank you so much for the quick response and fantastic advice! I'm not the most mechanically minded person so all these comments are great. I know with anything second hand it won't be perfect, but the seller seems very genuine and the price is good. Hope to be on the water very soon (and asking heaps more questions!!!!) Thanks again!

If your not mechanically Savy, do the water test and a general check over. If your are happy I would make an offer subject to a mechanical inspection of your choosing. Whilst a seller may seem genuine, does not guarantee there is no issues with the boat. There may even be issues the current owner is unaware of. $100 or so bucks for an inspection may save you thousands of dollars if the boats a lemon

When you test the boat, run it just how you intend to use it, load it up and drive it without being overly afraid of breaking something. Don't flog it but don't baby it either.

Ask basic maintenance questions... when was the impellor last changed... has the prop been changed or the gearbox been rebuilt.... If there is obvious touch up paint on boat or motor then ask why. Look at through hull or attachment fittings and make sure they are sealed and there is no blistering around them. Look for dings and damage where it's been taken off and on the trailer.

When running listen for excessive vibration of the motor and for items vibrating heavily in the boat structure. Does the motor run smoothly and is it free of excessive mechanical noise coming from inside the block. Does the starter engage smoothly and without screeching. Is there oil and fuel leakage in the cowling. Are the electrical connections and wires in good condition - look for wires that have the insulation cracked. The paint on the engine block should be uniform and not broken excessively by rust or flaky white corrosion.

Do a compression check and make sure it is within specs including the variation between cylinders. If it is running rough and the owner has been playing with carby settings or has rebuilt one then beware a lean carb can kill the bearings due to lack of lubrication.

Check the steering for binding. Check the motor tilts smoothly. Does it accelerate smoothly and willingly. Does it make max rpm as recommended by the engine maker. Are the controls smooth. Does it engage gear smoothly. Does it jump out of gear unexpectedly.

Do the lights work, do the instruments work, do any included electronics work? Check the battery box, the terminals and it's date code. If not maintenance free then take off a couple of cell caps and check the plates are well covered by electrolyte.

Look under the gunwales and lift up flooring if possible to see if there are any cracks, popped rivets, broken fittings, displaced gunwale rubber or bent/broken cleats.

Do a REVS check. Check the HIN/boat code matches the paperwork. Get a copy of the owners drivers license and make sure it matches the rego papers for name and address. Do the same for the trailer.

Most of all - have fun.

as per all the above & boy he has covered most of it, as well as all the major running gear checks dont forget all the simple little things, if there is a switch ask what it does & turn it on & make sure it works, check every switch, light,tell tale works,rooster tail for water,etc when you get back to the ramp make sure you are there when he takes the bungs out & check roughly how much water comes out,even put a bucket under to accurately guage,check trailer for condition,rust etc,check drawbar condition for holes & rust.trailer spare tyre ? anchor? pfd's,take photos of everything, & my advice is dont buy it on the spot,take 24hrs at least to mull it over & if your worried about anything put the pictures up here & see what everyone thinks. Good Luck

THANK YOU to all of you, certainly some great advice and things I certainly wouldn't have thought of! I'm very excited as have had some great times with my tinny but the kids are getting older and things like shade and comfort are now more important. The price seems very good so I'm sure there will be some things that are of degrees of concern. I hope all goes well as very keen to push myself as an angler a bit more this summer in port hacking and Botany Bay. Keep an eye out for posts from me on Sunday night....a huge thank you to all who contributed again!

Hey! Well I have the green light from all involved and after some negotiation I'm taking a boat out on the water for a test run, hopefully to buy there and then. I have had a small tinny for the last few years and am upgrading to a mid 2000's 5m aluminum boat with a 60hp 2 stroke Yamaha. Have already had a visual inspection of boat and engine and the seller is taking me out on the water on Sunday for a final test. Just wondering if anyone has any advice or helpful hints for the water test or just for a new boat owner? Thanks...

Hi mate.Make sure it gets up and goes.I think a 60 Yam might be a little under power for a 5mtr tinnie.Mine is a 475 tinnie with a 70 Yam and its just right so a 5mtr on a 60 might struggle a little.If you have the boss with you take her along as well for extra weight.

Good luck and dont be afraid to walk away if its not right.

Well....I drove to meet the seller this morning at the crack of dawn to see whether I was going to purchase a 475 Coastrunner with a 60hp Yamaha (2004). Didn't buy it there and then (based on everyone's great advice here) but still seriously contemplating it (the price seems VERY good based on other similar models on the internet.) Anyhow, the good points:

1. PRICE

2. Only 20 hours since last service

3. New Battery

4. All offshore safety gear

5. Engine started first go and ran beautifully (top speed 50km/h with 2 men in - is this good?)

6. No water came out when bungs removed

7. Seems like a very genuine seller

8. Infloor fuel tank

What I'm not sure about:

1. Is 50km/h normal at top sppeed?

2. Most electronics worked but missing white running light (he showed me where it went but he thought it might need repairing.)

3. When I was driving we maxed at about 45km/h and then he trimmed the engine and we got to 50km/h BUT it seemed a lot harder to steer, particularly when turning to starboard, is this normal?

4. He wasn't sure if it had a bilge pump - how do you tell?

5. 220 hours on the engine

My concerns:

1. There were a few dings etc (he said his son used to take it to the shelf) but I did notice a few small rust spots - I have attached a picture.

2. There was blistering around a few of the fixtures (see attached picture)

3. One noticeable ding on starboard side (see attached picture)

So basically - I'm a bit of a novice at this so would greatly appreciate some advice - are the concerns superficial or do they hide something serious? Does it sound ok for an 8 year old boat?

If I do go ahead I will be getting a mechanic to check.

Thanks in advance, I really do appreciate everyone's assistance!

post-18618-092903100 1353815157_thumb.jpg

post-18618-093466500 1353815779_thumb.jpg

post-18618-085024400 1353815831_thumb.jpg

How much are they asking?

That corrosion is pretty nasty. In my expience, the corrosion you can see generally is not the half of it. Although it would be impossible to conclude how much there is from a picture.

I would suggest if u do want to procedd that you have the issue and the outboard and potentially steering inspected by a reputable marine place

Sounds like a great idea! Do you think a mobile marine mechanic would be able to comment on the corrosion? Basically, I just looked at over 150 boats in NSW on Boatsales and there is not one Coastrunner 475, they are all a couple of thousand more. Basically will the corrosion be a big problem, is it repairable? I'm so sorry to ask so many questions and I know you can never be sure...

What I'm not sure about:

1. Is 50km/h normal at top sppeed?

2. Most electronics worked but missing white running light (he showed me where it went but he thought it might need repairing.)

3. When I was driving we maxed at about 45km/h and then he trimmed the engine and we got to 50km/h BUT it seemed a lot harder to steer, particularly when turning to starboard, is this normal?

4. He wasn't sure if it had a bilge pump - how do you tell?

5. 220 hours on the engine

My concerns:

1. There were a few dings etc (he said his son used to take it to the shelf) but I did notice a few small rust spots - I have attached a picture.

2. There was blistering around a few of the fixtures (see attached picture)

3. One noticeable ding on starboard side (see attached picture)

So basically - I'm a bit of a novice at this so would greatly appreciate some advice - are the concerns superficial or do they hide something serious? Does it sound ok for an 8 year old boat?

If I do go ahead I will be getting a mechanic to check.

Thanks in advance, I really do appreciate everyone's assistance!

The dings are cosmetic so thats up to you to decide. The top speed 45-50km/h sounds right for that engine and boat, I have the same engine. Doing a compression test is important was that done? Also water coming from the tell tale. Or better, put it on ear muffs and see water comes out of all proper areas its supposed to. If it doesnt, thats bad.

The owner saying he doesnt know if it has a bilge pump is his way of keeping your hopes up that it may have one even though it doesnt. How long has he owned this boat?

Thanks so much Roylo! He was pretty genuine but basically said he didn't know, I'm going to get a marine mechanic to check it out and I'll get him to look. I think with any boat/engine that is 8 year old there will be some concerns. I'm probably being over cautious but better to be safe than sorry! Thanks again mate!

Make sure the mechanic checks the gear box oil, i bought my first boat a few weeks ago.

Ran fine but at service last week found nothing but water in the gear case!

Replaced shaft seals and oil and runs fine but learn from my mistake.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I bought it! Due to work commitments etc didn't get a chance to get it on the water until yesterday and it went like a gem! Very happy! Thanks again to everyone's advice and Merry Christmas to all. Now to sell the tinny...