Cod caught on bread?

big Neil

Went to the Murrumbidgee River yesterday morning to fish for Yellowbelly. I put a couple of shrimp nets in and put a lump of bread dough on each of my 2 rods whilst I waited to catch a few shrimps for bait. Immediately I got a good bite and waited to strike. The rod bends, I strike and feel weight. Naturally I assume I've got a Carp but to my surprise it's a Cod of 50cms. I've never heard of Cod being caught on bread before. Has anybody else heard of Cod being caught on bread dough? Naturally it was returned unharmed to grow bigger. Big Neil.

not sure about bread but Ive heard of other weird & wonderful things they will bite on, one year when I was even younger every one was using tripe and it was working fine. Ive also used grass hoppers & moths that ive caught along the river bank, My father at one stage was using boiled eggs by putting the hook into the egg before boiling.

Down there last year they were using cheese with the theory that the shrimp gather around the cheese then the cod takes a swoop to get all the shrimp...no confirmation that it works but it sounds good anyway.

Brett

not sure about bread but Ive heard of other weird & wonderful things they will bite on, one year when I was even younger every one was using tripe and it was working fine. Ive also used grass hoppers & moths that ive caught along the river bank, My father at one stage was using boiled eggs by putting the hook into the egg before boiling.

Down there last year they were using cheese with the theory that the shrimp gather around the cheese then the cod takes a swoop to get all the shrimp...no confirmation that it works but it sounds good anyway.

Brett

G'day Oz brett, yep cheese is no surprise as we catch Cod on it regularly. I don't subscribe to the theory about the shrimp as Cod take the cheese within seconds of it going in. This Cod must have been starving as it took the bread, yet it was a very healthy specimen for it's length. They are opportunistic feeders and mates have told me of ducks, frogs and potatoes being in their stomach contents. Cheers, Neil.

Possums, coots and ducks, rabbits, frogs, mice ... cod are non-descriminatory when it comes to what's palatable and what's not :biggrin2: Cheese, shrimp, yabbies, scrubworms, bardi grubs and the ever-expanding league of lures seem quite boring in comparison. Thankfully, they are HUGE fans of european carp, and for that I am eternally grateful! :thumbup: Now I can add bread dough to the list.

Cheers

Hodgey