batemans landbased

matyg

hi raiders,

did a bit of land based fishing down at batemans bay on saturday,

we pumped some nippers and dropped lines right next to the flats,

in about a 2 hour session ended up with two bream about 30cm, and two good size rays came nest so we moved on.

rays sure do know how to take line, sorry no photos as we were wading in up to chest height at times to get the casts right into the channel so i didnt take my camera.

caught a number of flatties down at the entrance to the clyde on the north side later in the evening too.

water was a bit cool but nice hot day seemed to have the fish firing.

great place that I have visited many times since I was a kid, always hard to come back home.

Sometimes you will find that the fish will be swimming in shallow water. If you are wading in chest deep water, there may be some fish behind you in shallower water. I learnt as a kid that whiting will be in shallow water on a run-up tide, when the other fisherman were casting into the channel to catch nothing.

I fished Long Beach many times when I spent my holidays there and really liked catching breams, flatheads and tailors from the calm beach. The eagle rays there were huge and pull hard as train.

Have not fished Clyde river but heard of it is good for very big jew fish. Will definately try next time I get down there.

Charles