Couldn't Find Pittwater Kings

josamill

had a quick session Saturday morning. Was pumped to get a squid in the bait tank 3rd cast at West Head. Perfect bait size. Down rigged it from Stokes Point to Taylors Point, looking for action on my sounder. Not to be, I'm afraid. Anyone hearing of kings in Pittwater? Also, the squid was alive, so put it straight into a plastic sandwich bag and into the freezer. Still be an OK bait do you think?

I haven't encountered any kingies yet in Pittwater either. another few weeks I reckon.

re: the squid - it should be fine. make sure no air in the bag, and then when you use it, cut off rings, slice through the ring (to make a strip) and peel off the mottled skin. (or use the head and tentacles). One time through with a circle hook and troll that. In my experience in Pittwater, these have worked better than live yakkas (although I've not yet tried a live squid vs. a squid strip).

Tried again today - but no takers (on either squid or yellowtail) - excepting that my lone live squid had it's head bitten off by a chopper tailor... I salvaged the hood, cut into rings/strips and then trolled those. I did get a 56 cm salmon on one of the strips (with an old fly in its mouth), and a pike (!) on another.

Loads of largish yellow tail at barrenjoey head in about 14m - none at west head (but a plague of mado's and sweep there like I've never seen).

They were a bit too big for bait really, unless the kingies are really aggressive.

No kingies at barrenjoey either! There was a bit of a swell going but little wind and overcast skies: a gorgeous day on the water.

post-8116-099408400 1354531147_thumb.jpg

Keep trying guys. If they in are in the harbour and up a Longy, there should be no reason why you won't bump into them soon.. I got a 93cm version on a d/r'ed squid in the harbour a week ago and have been busted by unstoppables a few times over the past month. They seem to be moving around a lot so if should not be too long before you hook up.

Cheers

Just be careful with your anchor there. There are big boulders under water. I have got mine jammed a few times, so you should be careful if you use a winch that is stronger than your anchor rope.

Also, if you get there too late and there are only sweep, try over by barrenjoey head. There are also a fair few squid over there, get them down deep on slabs of fresh bait and a squid skewer.

Was on PW mid November with my 7 y/o son near Scotland island. He was chopping/mashing some pillies and throwing them in when a modest sized kingy comes to the side of the boat. He quickly drops his line with a pilly chunk on it right in front of the kingies nose and bang, off he goes. Possibly the easiest hookup in the world short of drift netting.

Rod buckles and the reel is screaming. He's on 8lb line and 4kg rod with a 1000 spinning reel. It was never going to end well. He's holding and holding and I tell him "let him run, let him run", but he grabs the drag and tightens it up and ping! Lost the whole rig and a nice fish. He was bummed, and I had a laugh and said "did you learn your lesson? Never take a knife to a gun fight!"

Better luck next time.

Edited by Baffler