Beach Rod

heckendorfmortgage

Nothing special in my rod collection for off the beach. :1prop:

I have a 9ft Silstar Powertip with a 4000 size reel. Good for flicking out lighter baits and sooner or later SP's.

The other rod is an older rod that is about 12ft (could be 15ft from memory) with a 6000 size reel. Deadset too heavy but it casts out heavier lead for fishing the rougher waters/beach breaks quite well. :1fishing1:

Most situations on the beach can be covered with a 12 footer ( 144 inches on the old scale) although the number of wraps of glass make a difference. A rod designated as a 4144 (4 wrap) will do the job on bream and whiting, whereas a 6144 or 7144 is probably better for salmon, tailer and jewfish. The heavier rods will handle the bigger leads and baits required for these fish.

A 4144 is a pretty versatile stick as it can double as a blackfish rod for off the rocks.

I prefer to use such rods with an Alvey, so the winch mount is low, but there are plenty available with the higher mount to suit an egg beater.

I know that plenty of people use shorter rods on the beach, but I prefer the extra length to keep the line out of the shorebreak.

Beach rods have traditionally been long, 14 to 16 foot rangoon cane was once common.

Baits are cast a long way out, and the strech in mono line makes it hard to set a hook, hence the long rods!

With the use of lines like Fireline this is no longer a problem, in fact the opposite is often true! I have struck too hand on occasions and pulled hooks out! Fireline makes it possible to use shorter, lighter rods and reels.

BUT NOT AN ALVEY! Threadlines only!

My allround favorite would be a 6 kg 10 1/2 foot carbon fibre with 6 kg Fireline and a 6 kg to 10 kg flurocarbon trace and matching reel.

6 kg trace for Bream and Whiting, 10kg for Tailor and Salmon.

Howard.

Guest Jocool

What is the best length beach rod?

Thanks

MH

58774[/snapback]

Best length would have to be whatever you are comfortable using. Bearing in mind that you may need to lob a rather large sinker/bait to your desired spot. If you need to cast a fair way out, then a good solid 12 footer should do it. If your only aiming to fish the closer areas of the beach then a 10 footer would suffice!

Guest bluecod

There's some good advice been posted.

For beach work I use a 14 foot Sportex for throwing unweighted pillies, a 8144 [12'] for heavy work and a 6144 [12'] for lighter work [all low mount for Alveys] - as already stated the longer rod keeps the line out of the wash, but on really flat days I've also used rods as short as 8' [eggbeater] and fished the edges for some fine whiting and flatties, or when spinning a 10' job mounted with a Abu 7000.

Joe's advice is also relevant - whatever you're comfortable with - there's no point fishing ultra heavy gear if you're not up to it physically as it can wreak havoc with you if you've got a dicky back.

I actually use a 7144 and 650c5 alvey which I have had for a very long time.

My wife has a 6 kg wilson livefibre 10 1/2 foot rod with 14 lb fireline and a 6500b baitrunner.

Tried Fireline on the Alvey but throwing loops was disasterous, actually had no trouble with cut fingers! Worked well, cast a mile but pulled a lot of hooks by striking too hard.

Fireline doesn't get draged down in the surf like mono, so you can get away with a shorter rod.

I often get out fished, must be her hi tec gear!!!!!!! :1fishing1:

Howard.