Price of service

healy39

What was completed on the service? It sounds a bit high but hard to say as some items might have needed more attention than normal so the labour cost can quickly go through the roof.

What is the break up of parts to labour? What parts were replaced?

Did they pay any attention to the trailer/bearings?

2004 Yamaha 15hp cost me about $300 for new plugs, a new impeller and a carbie flush (it was getting filthy in there), including labour.

In the end I was happy to pay it, as I didn't have the time to fix it myself, and as I wasn't sure what was wrong with it at the time (turns out it was muck in the carburettor), I was happy to let the pros deal with it. Having said that, I've since bought a service manual so I can learn to do it myself.

If you're not sure on the price, you can always ring around some other outboard mechanics in your local area and ask them to quote on the same service. Or ring Huey, who I'm sure would be happy to help.

PS - If you do ring others, make sure you tell them the age of your engine. I know some mechanics wont touch the older ones, so maybe they'd also charge a premium for working on them.

Edited by f1shen

It only takes a few seized bolts for the labour charge to jump plus parts like gaskets get harder to obtain and thus more expensive. It does sound high for a normal, no problems service, but an extra hour or two can easily disappear into older engines.

Hi, with such limited inforamtion impossible to say. When we service an engine you get a parts list, with individual part numbers and labour so without knwoing what exactly was done and if they came across any problems again impossible to say. Why not ask the people if you think it is too much.

Cheers,

Huey.

Try a sterndrive vessel! your talking $1000's for annual engine and leg servicing including parts. These days, under a grand for me is a relief. not to mention the running costs!

Thank goodness i have decent mechanical knowledge so i now do most of the work myself. i just buy the parts from the suppliers and save on the $110.00 + GST labour charges!

doesnt take long on my boat to log up several hours labour!

FYI manuals are handy but you still need to know and understand how things work and what you are doing.

nothing like stripping the last bolt thread without a spare available or the tools to retrieve and fix it.

Hi raiders

How often do u need to service an out board motor ?

how often do you use it?

gearbox oil change and impeller should be changed annually if reliability is your thing, lack of use can be the worst thing for outboards or any motor for that fact. plugs are cheap and a spare set should be carried on board.

check your owners manual for maintenance intervals to guide you as regards your motor.

Best to have it running sweetly with regular maintenance rather than leaving things till a problem arises.

Service consisted of this

5/16 nut

Seal-blue15

4x gaskets

Filter

Impellar

Diaphram

2x battery lugs

3x spark plugs

Battery terminal

10mm ext star washer

Ext tooth washer ids 4

Oil& grease

Workshop consumables/enviromental

Workshop

Remove gearbox- fit impeller to water pump drain and fill gear box remove prop grease shaft grease motor spark and compression tests good. Fit new spark plugs fit new fuel filter grease steering fit new battery terrminals fit new battery lugs

Labour 4 hours =$320

Total bill $537.15

Does this sound about right ????

Cheers brent

Guest Aussie007

Service consisted of this

5/16 nut

Seal-blue15

4x gaskets

Filter

Impellar

Diaphram

2x battery lugs

3x spark plugs

Battery terminal

10mm ext star washer

Ext tooth washer ids 4

Oil& grease

Workshop consumables/enviromental

Workshop

Remove gearbox- fit impeller to water pump drain and fill gear box remove prop grease shaft grease motor spark and compression tests good. Fit new spark plugs fit new fuel filter grease steering fit new battery terrminals fit new battery lugs

Labour 4 hours =$320

Total bill $537.15

Does this sound about right ????

Cheers brent

i dont think all that would have taking half a working day to do maybe 2.5-3 hours labour but if they go over the 3rd hour by say 15mins would u still be charged for 4 hours work? i see the biggest job there is the gearbox im not a marine mechanic i can take off a gearbox change the impeller and put it back on in around an hour did they say on the work sheet if any seized bolts needed removing?

how often do you use it?

gearbox oil change and impeller should be changed annually if reliability is your thing, lack of use can be the worst thing for outboards or any motor for that fact. plugs are cheap and a spare set should be carried on board.

check your owners manual for maintenance intervals to guide you as regards your motor.

Best to have it running sweetly with regular maintenance rather than leaving things till a problem arises.

thanks for the advice

when summer ends ill take it straight for a service

Guest Aussie007

Perhaps a little high. The last service I had done on my 60hp Yamaha 4s was $400+. But the shop had a special on for July. Otherwise would have been $500+

most things 4 stroke related are going to cost more than a 2 stroke did u have the same work done?

Suzuki DF175 four stroke 300 hour service

Suzuki service pack (anodes, impeller, plugs, oil screen, filters) $168, labour $170 (2 1/2 hrs), oils $67 + $9 workshop materials and enviro levy. All up $456.

Quite reasonable by my reckoning. Top customer service to boot at Fraser Marine Eden NSW.

In all fairness, there were not any corroded bolts or other issues to slow him down, if it has been while since last apart, then an extra hour or so is clocked up easily.