Stainless Steel brake cable

Geoff

Over the years I've been using the standard Gal mild steel wire for the brake cable.

This is fine , until it rusts & eventually breaks

I've been thinking of using SS cable next time but have heard comments regarding problems with stretching , which I'm not to worried about as it can be easily adjusted.

The main concern is possible breaking where the cable loops through the brake lever arm.

Would be interested to hear pro's & con's from others who have used SS cable

Geoff

If its any help Im using a gal cable with a plastic cover over it that a mate gave from he's work cost me nothing making it well worth trying ... 3 years later & still looks to be holding out well though it will only take a split in the plastic for it to start rusting.

S/S is definitely the way to go & a Credit to Huey for doing this for he's customers, its pretty sad seeing a rusty cable under a trailer worth around $10k and only a year old.

Brett

Hi, +1 to what Brett said about the gal with coating but SST cable is the best and most new trailer do not have it due to the cost compared to regualr gal wire, but some brands, like the Stacer alloy trailers are fitting rubber coated gal wire and they hold up well too.

Cheers,

Huey.

What size SS wire do you recommend Huey ??

Craig In addition to the question from Obey1 is the cable you use standard off the shelf or special pre stretched cable??

Also , have you experienced any issues in my previous comment ,

The main concern is possible breaking where the cable loops through the brake lever arm.

If so , I was thinking of fitting thimbles through the hole in the brake lever arm.

post-731-003359500 1354045291_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Craig In addition to the question from Obey1 is the cable you use standard off the shelf or special pre stretched cable??

Also , have you experienced any issues in my previous comment ,

If so , I was thinking of fitting thimbles through the hole in the brake lever arm.

post-731-003359500 1354045291_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Hi Geoff, never seen one break or stretch and we use 5/32 inch SST cable and yes would not hurt anythign using what you have pictured.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Geoff, never seen one break or stretch and we use 5/32 inch SST cable and yes would not hurt anythign using what you have pictured.

Cheers,

Huey.

Craig Could you assist with one more question. There appears to be 3 types of SS cable commonly available,

1/19 which is one strand containing 19 wires , It's low stretch but very stiff.

7/7 One strand with 7 sub strands each with 7 wires , semi flexible

7/19 One strand with 7 sub strands each with 19 wires. Very flexible

Which one do you use??

Tks

Geoff