Sydney king combo

tasksta

Hi all

I got smoked last year by harbour kings on what i thought was substantial gear. There is a great deal on tld25 15-24kg combos at the moment. Will this be sufficient to stop harbour kings?

If so what class mono is recommended?

I will be live baiting yakkas and squid mainly in the harbour, at the heads and close reefs.

Its the summer of revenge!

Cheers

15-24kg is plenty. You'll be able to stop most kings with that. Only draw-back is the smaller kings (65-75) will get knocked over fairly quickly. I'd be running maybe 40-50lb mono. If you go much higher you won't get much line on the TLD...

Cheers, Tom

Cheers Tom.

I also have a 4500 bait runner with 30lb braid i use for plastics, the TLD wil be more as a back up because i have been smoked a few times on this setup.

I never use mono, is there much difference in the brands?

What should i be looking for?

Thanks again

4500 bait runner is pretty small what's the drag rating for them? You'd want something with a decent amount of drag at least 15kgs and line to suit so you can keep enough pressure on to tire the fish and turn its head before it buggers off and busts you off on some nice structure. Just on a quick search the bait runner seems to have 7kg of drag which I think isn't enough for legal kings unless they are running wide and not down which rarely happens

Spot on the 4500 has 7kg. What i dont understand is that the TLD is rated as a gun king reel but 'only' has an extra 3kg drag, is this enough? I want to keep it under 200 if i can as the TLD combo is on special for 199.

Would love to buy a stradic 8000 but just dont have the dough after the boat purchase.

Anyone selling a second hand setup? :)

Doesn 200 include line?

I would go for a fin nor biscayne 50 series and a shimano blue water rod 6'6, I think they are called and put 50lb braid on it, rod an reel should be about 220 all up line will be extra but hunt around on fee bay I know they had some of the fin nors on special for $99 at the tackle shop on Victoria rd drummoyne, I was gona get one but have decided to wait til I can afford a okuma salina 10000 instead.

You'll get more hits on FC than you will with mono, for

Jigging I find the jackets tend to be less of a hassle when using FC as well compared to mono too. I never use mono unless I'm spinning metals usually, FC all the way.

50LB line should be sufficient for your braid but you want the line strength to be well matched to the max drag of the reel, the 30LB line you are running on your baitrunner is wasted with 7kgs of max drag

On the 14000 reel 50LB line would be enough max drag is 20kgs so no point going heavier.

80lb for extra abrasion resistance. I've had 50lb run through rocks and survived, other times busted off easily, so prefer the slightly thicker line for extra piece of mind. Leader varies from 80 to 100 lb. I'm land based so fish heavier gear, but use the same off the boat when out as casting towards shore or down rigging through drop offs. Have been drilled on heavy gear but prefer to not get avoidable bust offs and leave fish swimming with hooks and lines attached. You don't need as much capacity bless jigging so 80 works well. I use 50lb for spinning with on lighter combos. There is a limit to how much drag you can managed off the rocks, so it's not based on just drag ratings of lines.

Edited by caranx

I would go the Spheros FB. I use one as my beach reel and its been going strong without service for 5 years.

Also I would consider saving up the extra $50 and getting the stradic. You will be able to use the reel for jigging and casting poppers/sluggos which would not be as enjoyable as the TLD. also it has a nicer handle to fish with. and is made for braided line.

Saying all this on monday I knocked over a 91cm king in 8m of water with a 3000 size branzino and 20lb leader. It never really felt like the fish was in control so I'm sure you can go lighter than the 80lb. I personally think light tackle makes it more enjoyable but to each their own.

Dave

80lb for extra abrasion resistance. I've had 50lb run through rocks and survived, other times busted off easily, so prefer the slightly thicker line for extra piece of mind. Leader varies from 80 to 100 lb. I'm land based so fish heavier gear, but use the same off the boat when out as casting towards shore or down rigging through drop offs. Have been drilled on heavy gear but prefer to not get avoidable bust offs and leave fish swimming with hooks and lines attached. You don't need as much capacity bless jigging so 80 works well. I use 50lb for spinning with on lighter combos. There is a limit to how much drag you can managed off the rocks, so it's not based on just drag ratings of lines.

Fair call, I prefer to fish a bit lighter and havent had problems with my 30lb setup as of yet, although I dont think Ive hooked any monsters yet, the only times Ive been busted off on kings is on my light gear, then again my PB is only 72cms which is by no means massive.

Im upgrading to 50lb line and reel to suit soon which I think should be enough for the majority of the fish I account for, however Im sure if I get smoked on the 50lb gear I will be wanting to get something more heavy duty and will eat my own words!

Definitely for land based though is a different story you cant just lock up the drag like you can on a boat to try and turn its head, so in that case I would be going heavier for that.

Cheers for all the info guys.

Here is a spanner in the works:

Shimano spheros or okuma salina ii?

Both about same price online.....mmm

Does the Salina 2 have the lifetime warranty as well as the Salin 3? Thats worth more than the Shimano 10 year, and apparently Okuma are being very generous with their warranty as well and fixing pretty much anything to help them build up their brand reputation, hence the reason I am going with the Salina 3, even if the reel gets destroyed by a big kingy I know I can get it fixed without any hassle, just have to make sure you buy it from an Australian Retailer otherwise no lifetime warranty.

To be honest I don't know the difference between the Salina 2 & 3, I just prefer the look of them, and the handle on the 3 is nicer as well, and generally newer is better

I have a trio and a salina 1 that i have given a real hard time and to he honest they have not been flawless both requiring very regular maintenaance. I have heard okuma have great service but its stil an inconvenience to ship the reels off for service under warranty or not.

On the other hand my baitrunner has not missed a beat. Guess ill probably stick with shimano.

Well on the flip side.....

I caught my first ever king in winter at waratah bay on 6lb fireline on an okuma trio 20 while fishing for yakkas!

Will upload photo once i get the laptop for non believers, went 82cm....

Yeah, the kings seemed to pop up in strange places over winter. I got 4 up at roseville. Only 1 legal but considering they are rarely up there (especially in winter). Really great fight on 6lb isn't it!

Mate i couldnt believe it!

I was like wow thats a big yakka, no wait a big bream, no wait maybe a jew, 30 min later a king floated up.

That day taught me to never tie an ugly rig and always use good tackle even when chasing yakkas and that 1-3kg graphite rods are not as easy to break as you think. :)

I would go the Spheros FB. I use one as my beach reel and its been going strong without service for 5 years.

Also I would consider saving up the extra $50 and getting the stradic. You will be able to use the reel for jigging and casting poppers/sluggos which would not be as enjoyable as the TLD. also it has a nicer handle to fish with. and is made for braided line.

Saying all this on monday I knocked over a 91cm king in 8m of water with a 3000 size branzino and 20lb leader. It never really felt like the fish was in control so I'm sure you can go lighter than the 80lb. I personally think light tackle makes it more enjoyable but to each their own.

Dave

Sorry i meant "would not be as enjoyable ON the TLD"