Need Rod/Reel For Summer :)

victorski

Howdy everyone, I've been having dreams of hooking some larger fish this summer!

Currently I have a Pflueger Trion Tournament 2-5kg Spin paired with a 2500 stradic c14, I have been using it for the last year and its faultless :)

I fish land based usually in the eastern suburbs and hoping to hook some kingies/jews and other big fish :)

So far i've narrowed my search to:

Reels

- Daiwa Freams - 4000

- Shimano Stradic c14 - 4000

- Shimano Rarenium c14 - 4000

I really love my stradic c14 and thought I might upgrade to the rarenium!

Rods

Daiwa Spellbinder 228cm 5-9kg

Pfleuger Trion 7' 6-10kg

Samaki rods?

Shimano Raider 2 5-10kg

Shimano T-Curve

As for rods I need a 2 piece and I have absolutely no idea what sort of weight rating I'll need. Not looking to spend to much on a rod but just looking for best bang for buck!

Also need some advice on what braid/leaders and what sort of plastics/baits/jighead sizes are appropriate for this sort of set up :)

Any help will be greatly appreciated :D

Cheers,

Victor

From what I hear the rareriums are not worth the price tag.

Don't know much about the Freams but I know that the stradic ci4 is only good for looks .

Get yourself a sustain 5000 fg or 4000fg the difference is a little big of weight and spool size.

As for rod I would be using 15-25 lb rod. For kings you will need a lot of stopping power.

If you want a nice rod with a cheaper price tag I would stick with the shimano range.

A t curve 762 10-15kg is 2 piece and with match with the sustain 5000fg nicely

Mate the reraiems are good you can get them for around 250 now so good for the coin.ci4 are good to havent had a prob with mine at all have. Both for a few years and still going now as for rods my mate been putting the samiki rods to the test on Jews feels mad and seen give a bit of stick on a 90cm king in the harbour on the week end

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Edited by kingfisher84

They're all good reels. I'd tend to go for the freams or stradic though. The FJ is better than the ci4 in my opinion, but its up to you. The freams is under $200 and great value for money.

As for the rod, While the t-curve's and samaki's are great, i would opt for the pflueger trion. It's half the price, and personally i find it has more grunt than the other rods. It's a great little work horse rod and has served me well a while now!

Cheers, Tom

Fantastic advice guys :D

I've now narrowed my search down to:

Samaki – VAMP SV-702SXH – 7’0 - 6-12kg

Samaki – Zing SZG 702SXH – 7’0 - 6-12kg

Pflueger Trion - PFLT-SP722H – 7’2 – 6-10kg

They are the 3 that i'm most drawn to! The trions about $100, which is a super attractive price! Not sure whether its worth dishing out a little more for zing or vamp.

As for reels, I think i'll stick with the Rarenium 4000. It has 2 spools which makes it very versatile :) I'll spool one with either 20-30lb braid, the other with 10lb which I can use for flattys or some lighter fish!

Now I need to sort out braid, I use berkley fireline on my other rig but suspect I should probably buy something better if I'm hoping to hook some larger fish, what would you suggest ?

Also I fish very light with my other rig (1/32 with gulp worms) but have no idea what I should use for this new rig ? Any suggestions :)

Thanks again!

Cheers, Victorski!

Hi sorry to confuse your decision. If I was only going to have one combo for Sydney kings and jew's it would be a 6'6 - 7' 10-15kg rod and 4500 size Daiwa reel. Shimano equivalent is about 6000 size or slightly larger.

Then, run 20Lb Fireline and 15kg mono backing. Good solid set up.

Cheers guys :-) Ended up getting the Samaki Zing 7'0 - 12-25lb - 2 piece! Its a stunning rod :)

Now I just need my reel, which will either be a Sustain 4000FG or the Rarenium 4000FA, can't decide between them :P

Anyway what sort of braid should I be running on this set up, 20lb? If so can anyone suggest good brands :)

Cheers for all the advice! :D

Cheers guys :-) Ended up getting the Samaki Zing 7'0 - 12-25lb - 2 piece! Its a stunning rod :)

Now I just need my reel, which will either be a Sustain 4000FG or the Rarenium 4000FA, can't decide between them :P

Anyway what sort of braid should I be running on this set up, 20lb? If so can anyone suggest good brands :)

Get the Sustain. I rate it much higher than the rarerium personally. Great reels! Match it with 20lb braid and your on your way!

14lb Fireline will suit a 12-25lb rod well and is very good line and value IMO. Dont be fooled by the 14lb. In my experience as a general rule with Fireline, you can change the Lb's to kg and then still add a bit more for the true breaking strain.

I think your setup is too light though. You will get the small guys but anything decent size forget it.

Nice combo for school Jews. I'm suprised u went with such a short rod for land based. I have to agree that its abit light for land based kings. U will have some fun but be prepared to loose some fish. My lighter land based king outfit is an 8000 stradic with 30lb braid on a 9 foot 10kg-20kg azusa 9 foot popping rod.

Ahh now you've all got me worried, I still haven't purchased my reel! Would it make a difference if I got the 5000 sustain? Or should I be looking for another reel with more drag? Roughly what size jew or kingie could it handle if I had a 4000 sustain?

Cheers,

Victor

Ahh now you've all got me worried, I still haven't purchased my reel! Would it make a difference if I got the 5000 sustain? Or should I be looking for another reel with more drag? Roughly what size jew or kingie could it handle if I had a 4000 sustain?

Cheers,

Victor

I dont personally know the rod you have but going by the weight, what others have said and what you intend using it for I would be getting a 6000 size Shimano minimum.

Forget what the drag says. IMO too many people use the drag figures alone to determine what reel to purchase and this is wrong. You need physical strength in the reel frame. You need winding power AND good line retrieve ratio and you need the line capacity.

A 4000 size reel may have the 'quoted drag' figure your looking for, but it wont have the winding power or the winding speed to properly keep up with and crank fast moving large fish like a bigger reel will.

Also overlooked is the line roller diameter size. Small reels have smaller line rollers and the sharp angle the line takes off the spool when a fish is taking line over heavy drag can damage your line easier on a smaller roller.

I say get a decent size reel for the job.

Edited by Roylo

Cheers for the advice Roylo :-) Looks like i'll need to get the 6000 then :P

Will I still be able to use it for lighter applications such as flathead and such ? or will it be to heavy ?

I was looking to just take the next step up for some light pelagic/kingy spinning! ;)

Cheers,

Victor

Cheers for the advice Roylo :-) Looks like i'll need to get the 6000 then :P

Will I still be able to use it for lighter applications such as flathead and such ? or will it be to heavy ?

I was looking to just take the next step up for some light pelagic/kingy spinning! ;)

Cheers,

Victor

No problem victorski. It will be heavy for flathead spinning but you want something to catch Kings and jew yeah. You said at the beginning you have the 2-5kg rod and 2500 reel. Thats perfect for flathead.

Going from the 2-5kg rod to what you purchased and a 6000 size Shimano reel is a lightish but good step up for kings and jews. If your going to live bait and there are big kings around you will need heavier again.

Howdy everyone, I've been having dreams of hooking some larger fish this summer!

Currently I have a Pflueger Trion Tournament 2-5kg Spin paired with a 2500 stradic c14, I have been using it for the last year and its faultless :)

I fish land based usually in the eastern suburbs and hoping to hook some kingies/jews and other big fish :)

So far i've narrowed my search to:

Reels

- Daiwa Freams - 4000

- Shimano Stradic c14 - 4000

- Shimano Rarenium c14 - 4000

I really love my stradic c14 and thought I might upgrade to the rarenium!

Rods

Daiwa Spellbinder 228cm 5-9kg

Pfleuger Trion 7' 6-10kg

Samaki rods?

Shimano Raider 2 5-10kg

Shimano T-Curve

As for rods I need a 2 piece and I have absolutely no idea what sort of weight rating I'll need. Not looking to spend to much on a rod but just looking for best bang for buck!

Also need some advice on what braid/leaders and what sort of plastics/baits/jighead sizes are appropriate for this sort of set up :)

Any help will be greatly appreciated :D

Cheers,

Victor

Would have thought if you were spinning off the rocks or break walls your going to need a longer rod, I use 9 ft shimano t-curve 10-15 kg 2 piece . 6000 and above reel for shimano.

Cheers everyone for all the help!

Ended up with the Samaki Zing 12-25lb and a Sustain FG 6000 :-)

Now I just need to spool her up!

Cheers,

Victor

post-9937-038507900 1354528270_thumb.jpg

I'm looking at the samaki as well for similar application but I am looking at the the 9ft model in 15-25lb, I think land based it allows for longer casts and I plan to cast larger soft plastics and smaller metal lures

• 8 months later...

Howdy again, sorry to resurrect an old thread!

I am looking to replace the Samaki 7ft 12-25 for a longer rod for spinning and live baiting off the rocks and wharfs for kingies.

Ultimately I would like a light rod to match with my Sustain 6000 FG and it needs to be a 2 piece rod.

What sort of length should I be looking at 9ft / 10ft ?

I have a price range of around $150 - $200 max and I've had my eye on the Samaki Zing Surf 10'6" but think that it might be too long and possibly to heavy for spinning.

Any suggestions =)

Cheers,
Victor

Edited by victorski

I think for spinning and live baiting off the stones you still need 2 rods.

I'm using a Shimano T curve 902 spin for lures up to 60 grams. Matched with a stradic fj 5000

And diawa monster mesh . 8ft and can chuck lures up to 200 gram matched with a 6500 diawa saltist.for live baiting.

Edited by Novicefisherman