Harbour kings

tasksta

Hi all

Anyone having luck with harbour kings yet? Most reports i read are still offshore?

Big day in the harbour yesterday:

7 inch shads at the markers

Hard bodys up and down both heads

Live squid and yakka at the markers, old mans hat, colours reef and spit bridge for nothing.

Is my new boat cursed or are the kings yet to appear inside in numbers?

Cheers

Paul

Mate we went offshore and there were a few boats hooking up to the odd king but we had fresh squid and yakkas and had no luck. When collecting bait we had a few kings swimming in our bread burley scaring off the yakkas, I chucked out a 100mm slick rig drop bear and just let it hang over the boat, a kingy took it in it's mouth and was swimming off with it I flipped up the bail arm so he could swallow it properly then flipped over the bail arm and just watched the slick rig slide out of its mouth to my dispair !!! You guessed it, in my excitement I forgot to cut off the tube that protects the hook point in the packet !!!! It was the begining of the end for us and I'm still dirty on myself

Mate, there is no doubt they are in the Harbour at the moment, just need to do a bit of driving around to find them. I have seen some crackers pulled out lately but I am yet to pull one up to the boat, they keep busting me off! Just wish I could take time of work now rather then Christmas when everyone will be in the Harbour chasing them.

Matt

Going to have a lot of haters on this one but there have been kings up to a meter caught inside the harbour regularly for weeks now.

All good it was a question rather than a comment.

Just want to understand what im doing wrong. I dont have a lot of experience so have been using all the 'text book' locations and techniques. So far no good three weeks in a row, little disappointing.

Happy to take someone out one Saturday to show me Where im going wrong? :)

Im keen as mustard now i have a boat and just want to get stuck in!

Mate we went offshore and there were a few boats hooking up to the odd king but we had fresh squid and yakkas and had no luck. When collecting bait we had a few kings swimming in our bread burley scaring off the yakkas, I chucked out a 100mm slick rig drop bear and just let it hang over the boat, a kingy took it in it's mouth and was swimming off with it I flipped up the bail arm so he could swallow it properly then flipped over the bail arm and just watched the slick rig slide out of its mouth to my dispair !!! You guessed it, in my excitement I forgot to cut off the tube that protects the hook point in the packet !!!! It was the begining of the end for us and I'm still dirty on myself

Mate i would be spewing but atleast you found the fish!

Mate i would be spewing but atleast you found the fish!

I am still dirty !

The kings are there they just haven't been playing nice the last few weeks, usually pretty tough around a full moon and the BOM has been all over the shop as well which shuts them down.

Shoot me a PM if your keen to head out sometime and see if we can chase em down, I don't think your doing anything wrong out last 2 outings have come up with nothing as well, it's just the way when your chasing the kings.

This weekend just gone last year was super foggy and we went out to longy caught nothing, came back into the harbour and landed 3 kings at north head at 1pm, very weird for that time of day.

FInd the schools of fish by looking for the birds. not birds flying around in the sky but ones doing a flutter just above the water or dive bombing. also worth investigating any birds just sitting on the water in an area not sheltered.

you will know you are in the right spot when the fish "bust up" the surface which will be splashes or swirling water. they will go down then come back up periodically.

you want to use max 30lb leader (if they are rats-70cm then 15lb braid and leader should be fine, 70cm-1m then 30lb braid and leader will do). I prefer to use lighter leader and lose a fish once in a while but hook up way more.

The lures you should be using are tiny 5gram metals, 3inch soft plastic minnows (opaque white or silver with glitter) rigged on light jig heads with a strong hook (bushy does a good make of these) or 6 inch sluggos unweighted.

Cast into the bust up or in front of it if it is moving, let it sink for about 5 seconds and then retrieve at a steady moderate speed. you will mainly get salmon and taylor but every 10th fish or so is turning out to be a king.

when you hook a fish watch as you are bringing it in because it is not uncommon to see kings following it to the boat. Invest in a decent pair of polarised glasses and if you see this happening flick a small soft plastic lightly weighted over the side (to look like the whitebait that falls out of their mouth as you bring them in) and you will often get a hook up.

most important thing is to sneak up on the fish. motor down wind and get blown back up into them, once you have drifted off the school do the same again. I cant tell you how many times i have been pulling fish out of a school, someone sees and comes speeding over in their boat only to spook the fish and stop the feeding frenzy. if you see someone already fishing a school, be respectful and approach quietly, and do not motor about once you are there.

Dave.

Had the gillies baitfish lure in 5g pulling in multiple kings on 6lb braid about a month ago so it def works. Where have you been spotting the schools in the harbour of offshore? Only small tailor in upper harbour atm haven't ventured over to the other side yet so I'm assuming the Bonnie's and sambos have moved in now ?