Slow Trolling live baits - Kingfish

rjc123

Hi Raiders,

Looking at getting into the kings in the next week or so. Might hit up pittwater for a look. Haven't been up there a while and the kings should hopefully be inside by now. I don't have a downrigger on the yak so keen to give slow trolling a go with live yakkas and squid. Just looking for some info on rigs to do this. Do i need weight? I assume its very similar to downrigging only without the bomb...

Any help would be great. Also, any reports of kings in pittwater yet?

Cheers, Tom

Thanks guys,

Is there any point in having them unweighted a fair way behind the yak and basically drifting or pedalling really slowly?

Other wise i'll use the above rigs..

How long should my trace be from the swivel to the hook? 1.5m?

Cheers, Tom

Thanks guys,

Is there any point in having them unweighted a fair way behind the yak and basically drifting or pedalling really slowly?

Other wise i'll use the above rigs..

How long should my trace be from the swivel to the hook? 1.5m?

Cheers, Tom

Hey Tom u have a sounder in the yak right? Just keep them a few mtrs off the bottom and slowly work a desired area

Hey Tom u have a sounder in the yak right? Just keep them a few mtrs off the bottom and slowly work a desired area

Also if its on the surface its more likely to get chomped up by a Tailor.

Tailor will usually sit up on the surface and kings and trevs sitting below those schools generally.

no no no wrote an article about it somewhere but Im not sure where it is and whether or not it was online but I think I saw it in a magazine. Have a dig see if you can find it, but yeah a few meters off the bottom is ideal, just not too close or the squid will kill your yakka :thumbdown:

Yeah, got a lowrance elite 4-dsi. I'll be sure to keep it a few meters off the bottom.

Also if its on the surface its more likely to get chomped up by a Tailor.

Tailor will usually sit up on the surface and kings and trevs sitting below those schools generally.

no no no wrote an article about it somewhere but Im not sure where it is and whether or not it was online but I think I saw it in a magazine. Have a dig see if you can find it, but yeah a few meters off the bottom is ideal, just not too close or the squid will kill your yakka :thumbdown:

Thanks mate,

I'm planning to run one rod with squid (live if i can catch a few otherwise i have a few fresh dead in the freezer) and one with a live yakka. Do you reckon it would be worth dojng the yakka with the slow troll rig, and making a "make shift" downrigger for the squid? I have a few big, big weights lying around. I might let these weights down below the yak (a couple of meters off the bottom) and attach the fishing line via a small elastic band. Do you reckon this will work?

Cheers, Tom

For sure the makeshift downrigger idea will work, but if your on your own and all hell breaks loose with a decent fish getting it out of the water can be a problem sometimes, especially in the yak. Just a though

It will definitely work the problem is bringing the "bomb" back up so your fish doesnt get tangled and then bust you off, just make sure you mount a GoPro & upload the footage for us all :thumbup:

As for landing the fish I'd make a flying gaff and tie of off ready to go. You don't want to bring the added weight a rubber band will work perfect. And go pros are awsome have you seen them in sunglasses form? The guy I go game fishing with has go pros but the battery's don't last long. I'm sure if the fish are in the area you will get a hook up for sure

Another thought would be to run a balloon with a decent sinker behind the yak you can set the depth and it's keeps everything away from u... Just a thought...

Yeah that would probably make things easier. Either way, i just made the downrigger. A handline with 40lb mono (30m) with a splitshot every meter so i know how deep im running it... Attached two really big snapper leads to the end. Should be all good to go.

Cheers, Tom

G'day MM, we just use a decent bean sinker. More simple than downriggers. Rig is short double, connecting knot of your choice to trace of about a metre and a bit, thread on sinker, then BB swivel, then another metre and a bit of trace to circle hook. Gives you a longer trace without the sinker being way up the line.

Bridle the livie and it'll last forever, give better hook sets and little chance of the hook burying in the livie.

Also, at least outside and trolling from a boat, we always have a livie unweighted and trolled a fair way back. So you are covering a fair bit of the water column with one deep and one surface bait. The surface livie often scores the biggest king (think how effective big surface stickbaits are!

G'day MM, we just use a decent bean sinker. More simple than downriggers. Rig is short double, connecting knot of your choice to trace of about a metre and a bit, thread on sinker, then BB swivel, then another metre and a bit of trace to circle hook. Gives you a longer trace without the sinker being way up the line.

Bridle the livie and it'll last forever, give better hook sets and little chance of the hook burying in the livie.

Also, at least outside and trolling from a boat, we always have a livie unweighted and trolled a fair way back. So you are covering a fair bit of the water column with one deep and one surface bait. The surface livie often scores the biggest king (think how effective big surface stickbaits are!

Thanks for that mate :thumbup:

Sounds like a great rig. I'll have to just use trial and error for the moment. See what works best for me.

Cheers, Tom