25M MARK SNAPPER

craigbutcher

Do tou mark up the fish before you drop bait?

Or do you find a 'fishy' spot and start burleying hard?

Cheers

HI Tasksta,

Yes I motor out to the 30-40m mark and start prospecting around the edge of the reefs for good structure and some markings of fish. With snapper you can sometimes see a 1 or 2 fish just off the bottom holding, but not neccessarily bait. Sometime more.

I always anchor on the contour lines on my GPS (for the drops offs etc). I dont neccessarily always look for fish holding, if I know that the vicinity I am in produced snapper previously.

This morning there was no fish on the sounder till we berleyed for around 45mins, then a wave of snapper came through the cube trail, big marks mid-water.

The real secret is getting that cube trail working! I have landed big reds just off the harbour heads, all the way to long reef on those drop offs and reefs.

Another secret is current! You want fish the zones with strong current. Snapper will hold is strong current zones and rarely out of the current. Fish the strong current areas.

Butch

HI Tasksta,

Yes I motor out to the 30-40m mark and start prospecting around the edge of the reefs for good structure and some markings of fish. With snapper you can sometimes see a 1 or 2 fish just off the bottom holding, but not neccessarily bait. Sometime more.

I always anchor on the contour lines on my GPS (for the drops offs etc). I dont neccessarily always look for fish holding, if I know that the vicinity I am in produced snapper previously.

This morning there was no fish on the sounder till we berleyed for around 45mins, then a wave of snapper came through the cube trail, big marks mid-water.

The real secret is getting that cube trail working! I have landed big reds just off the harbour heads, all the way to long reef on those drop offs and reefs.

Another secret is current! You want fish the zones with strong current. Snapper will hold is strong current zones and rarely out of the current. Fish the strong current areas.

Butch

hey mate

can i ask what do u use for berley ??

thanks mate

HI Mate,

Everything from pillchards, to chook pellets to fish bones and Carcasses from Sweep, pike, slimies, yakkas, sargaent bakers, bonito, Tuna etc.

Berley hard and the fish come!

Butch

Mate you probably get asked more questions than any Raider on this site when you post a report!

Can you be more specific when you say "burley hard"

How big do you cut up the pieces, how frequently do you put out the burley and how much at a time. Do you use a burley bomb and drop it to the bottom to try get it away from the sweep?

Mate you probably get asked more questions than any Raider on this site when you post a report!

Can you be more specific when you say "burley hard"

How big do you cut up the pieces, how frequently do you put out the burley and how much at a time. Do you use a burley bomb and drop it to the bottom to try get it away from the sweep?

HI Mate,

I dont berley bomb mate, I simply cube with a 1cm sized cube each miinute or so, and give the berley bucket and crush every 15 mins. The berley bucket oozes little bits all the time though consistantly. You will see snapper nearly on the surface sipping berley when they are really on!

The best snapper guys I know from the local fishing club $%&$%#$^# smashes up STRIPED TUNA & SOLID BONITO FISH frames in the berley. This heavy mass of (predominantly) bone structure sinks past the sweep and moves off with the current.

The local club champ PETER RYAN has the club record of a 12kg snapper taken from very shallow water off sydney. His favourite snapper baits are STRIPED TUNA HEADS! And large BONITO HEADS!

Butch

HI Mate,

I dont berley bomb mate, I simply cube with a 1cm sized cube each miinute or so, and give the berley bucket and crush every 15 mins. The berley bucket oozes little bits all the time though consistantly. You will see snapper nearly on the surface sipping berley when they are really on!

The best snapper guys I know from the local fishing club $%^^%&$%^# smashes up STRIPED TUNA & SOLID BONITO FISH frames in the berley. This heavy mass of (predominantly) bone structure sinks past the sweep and moves off with the current.

The local club champ PETER RYAN has the club record of a 12kg snapper taken from very shallow water off sydney. His favourite snapper baits are STRIPED TUNA HEADS! And large BONITO HEADS!

Butch

Awesome stuff cheers mate!

Hey Butch,

You know, there's a lot of finesse in this kind of fishing that most people don't realise.

I haven't cubed for a red in years but I got it down to a fine art when I was fishing on the ocean.

This was before the appearance of soft plastics and very few people even knew of cubing for reds.

People need to take some decisions into account before and during fishing.

First, when arriving on the spot and hopefully you find no wind, you need to try to guage the current strength by the drift speed and direction of the boat - otherwise it's a guess and knowing where to put the anchor in relation to your chosen ground.

If the current is running hard, choose your spot and throw your anchor perhaps 150m up-current, and tie off the anchor around 100m up-current from the spot you wanted your burley to hit bottom.

The current speed will carry your burley a long way before it gets anywhere near the bottom for the fish to smell or eat - if it's running hard.

Only when your burley gets anywhere near the bottom will the fish find out about your trail and come looking.

This means that you have to choose the right size sinker and try to guess how far back the current will take it before it reaches the bottom, along with the burley.

It should sink at a similar rate as the main body of burley (the cubes and chook pellets).

Ideally, it will reach bottom somewhere around 100m away from your boat....

See what I mean ?

Only experience will teach you the right size sinker to use on the day.

Also current strength can change during a session so watch where your sinker ends up.

You could suddenly find your bait 20m astern and on the bottom (meaning you will get snagged or the bait will get torn up by tiny fish) - This means your sinker is now too heavy bcos the current has backed off.

...or the current has picked up and your sinker is now too light, such that when pulling up your bait, it now skips across the surface 100m astern and your bait is intact - your sinker is now too light...or it was so in the first place.

The above techniques will get you in the ball game to get a red to find your bait.

The rest is up to correct rigging (two hooks, 10kg trace, etc), baiting (pillies, head first, tail first, half pillie, cuttlefish, stripie fillet, etc) and then how long to wait on the run before striking, figting the fish, etc....

It's adrenalin pumping stuff eh....

It's been a few years since I've been on the ocean - these days I chase the bream and whiting in the calmer waters of the bay...

I miss the reddies...but I sure don't miss the heaving swells.....

Tony

Edited by Keflapod
  • Like 1