What's your Christmas Fishing plan?

4x4fisherman

This Christmas period I'm planning an Overnight jewfish hunt near Port Stephens at least once with a forum member or two and maybe a trip or two further north, a 4 day weekend down south around Gillards Beach taking the 4wd and campervan and if I can squeeze it in a weekend up at South West Rocks.

These should be a good warm up for the South Australia trip to Yalata early February which looks to be epic and well attended.

So what's everyone else got planned? And remember, "if you fail to plan then you plan to fail!" so get the tide and moon charts out and make the most of your time on the water.

Fish for:

~ redfin in Cairn Curran and Lake Eppalock

~ yellas in Lake Charm and Kow Swamp

~ cod on surface lures in the Loddon

~ everything in the Wakool and Murray with spinnerbaits and oargees :biggrin2:

So many spots; so many casts!

Cheers

Hodgey

Will be heading to st George's basin, sanctuary point with another 4 couples, we'll all throw our keys in a bowl and.... Just kidding....

Im the only one really into fishing, so I'll take along a box of lures and the 2-4kg outfit and sneak off for a flick in the basin, might even hit one of the beaches.

Fishingphase

Hey guys, 1st post but I've had a good couple of weeks reading and learnt a lot. Spending a week down at Jervis Bay to catch Kingies and Bonito, although just quietly I'm equally as happy to land a few slimey's. They smoke up a treat. I'll be squeezing in as much prawning as possible down at Sussex as well, never done it before but now own some cheap nets and torches ready for myself and the kids. From all reports it sounds like fun. If anyone knows where the best place to scoop from is I'd be grateful. I'll be having a go for the first time down at Lake Illawarra tomorrow night, I'm just about to hit the garage and cut a hole in an old boogie board for the bucket! Hopefully I'll have a report come Wednesday.

Cheers.

I live in port stephens and would love to catch up with some fellow raiders! Got a few good spots myself. When were you thinking of coming up??? I'm going to coffs between 28-4.

Cheers scratchie

28th fishing Middle Rocks for jewfish overnight. Taking one or two forum members with me.

I'll fish out the back a bit & as usual have quite a few sessions

in the Tweed river. Salt & fresh. :yahoo:

Offshore when it lines up as well.

Isn't it funny how the grass is always greener?!

2nd of Jan to the 8th I'm heading off with the family to chase

bass & 'Toga up at Lake Borumba.

It's been too long so I have to get back there.

Tight lines & safe holidays to all.

Cheers,

Grant.

28th fishing Middle Rocks for jewfish overnight. Taking one or two forum members with me.

What a shame, that day I head for coffs!

Good spot though, had some good reports from there in the last couple of weeks! Water temp is up and there's a few pelagics about too. Good luck and look forward to your report!

Heading up to port stephens for a week or two - chasing jews in a couple of secret spots and spinning for longtails at dark point. Then off to Noosa - fishing 24/7 flathead, bream and whiting by day, 50cm+ jacks and trevally by night!

Will be heading to st George's basin, sanctuary point with another 4 couples, we'll all throw our keys in a bowl and.... Just kidding....

Im the only one really into fishing, so I'll take along a box of lures and the 2-4kg outfit and sneak off for a flick in the basin, might even hit one of the beaches.

Fishingphase

The missus and I will be heading to Sanctuary Point over Christmas too. For how long will depend on my ability to weather time with the mother-in-law. I suppose if she gets on my nerves too much I can throw her keys in your bowl :074:

We'll have the boat with us, I'll PM you my number if you want to meet up.

Hey guys, 1st post but I've had a good couple of weeks reading and learnt a lot. Spending a week down at Jervis Bay to catch Kingies and Bonito, although just quietly I'm equally as happy to land a few slimey's. They smoke up a treat. I'll be squeezing in as much prawning as possible down at Sussex as well, never done it before but now own some cheap nets and torches ready for myself and the kids. From all reports it sounds like fun. If anyone knows where the best place to scoop from is I'd be grateful. I'll be having a go for the first time down at Lake Illawarra tomorrow night, I'm just about to hit the garage and cut a hole in an old boogie board for the bucket! Hopefully I'll have a report come Wednesday.

Cheers.

Hi mate my uncle use to go at old erowal bay with good results and a few mud crabs as well. It's big and shallow so safe for the kids but he wouldn't start till at least 11 or 12 at night. The moon phase has something to do with it as well but I can't remember what. I reakon Sussex inlet on the national park side would be worth a look at if your land base. I think I'll be having a look around there my self.

• 2 weeks later...

2 Weeks Tuross for me. Flathead on plastics and whiting on surface crawlers. Keen to take kids garfish hunting and prawning too.

Same here two weeks at Tuross, sub and surface lures, wading the sand banks as usual and christening my new hobie outback, oh it's gunna be awesome, send me a pm, sounds like you are into the same game, we can have a fish together

I'm not taking the prawn gear, the moons no good

Edited by bigi

Guys,

I'm jealous as all get out. Gotta work over Christmas / New Year. However, if I can't get amongst them, I'll give you the tip. For those heading down to St George's Basin and surrounds, do yourselves a favour and hit Wandandian Creek between the highway and the firebreak east of the highway. Slow drift on the wind or electric motor if you've got one (bugger all tidal flow) and cast lures and bait for some quality bream and monster flathead. Morning and evening's best for the flatties. Any time of day for the bream.

You'll thank me, really.

Cheers,

Nursie

P.S That stretch of water is also top yak territory, bigi. Go for it!

Edited by GreyNurse

Guys,

I'm jealous as all get out. Gotta work over Christmas / New Year. However, if I can't get amongst them, I'll give you the tip. For those heading down to St George's Basin and surrounds, do yourselves a favour and hit Wandandian Creek between the highway and the firebreak east of the highway. Slow drift on the wind or electric motor if you've got one (bugger all tidal flow) and cast lures and bait for some quality bream and monster flathead. Morning and evening's best for the flatties. Any time of day for the bream.

You'll thank me, really.

Cheers,

Nursie

P.S That stretch of water is also top yak territory, bigi. Go for it!

Is that creek navigable all the way through there? I usually launch from the Basin View ramp since the other one is a bit shallow and the missus insists a cars exhaust is not to be used as a snorkel...

Is that creek navigable all the way through there? I usually launch from the Basin View ramp since the other one is a bit shallow and the missus insists a cars exhaust is not to be used as a snorkel...

Be careful at the mouth of the creek as the weed beds are shallow and can easily foul outboard props. Enter and leave at either side of the high tide. Once in, I can vouch for a good run up to the highway bridge. I've not ventured west of there, but a look at Google earth tends to suggest it's good for at least another 1-2 kilometers.

If anyone hasn't yet planned accommodation, I'm gonna give Bewong River Retreat a plug here, if that's OK by the moderators. It's a couple orientated resort, with single bedroom bungalows. Scotty will look after you and offer some great suggestions for where to wet a line. The place has a boat ramp and there's a canoe for the otherwise land based. The place is guaranteed to unwind those frazzled nerves and leave you wanting to come back again. I'll leave it to you guys to follow up.

Have a great Christmas, Raiders. As they say, take your limit and limit your take.

Nursie

Edited by GreyNurse