SMH article - releasing carp into LBG

matyg

Thats a good read. I have heard so many conflicting things with carp since I started going after them a month or so ago.

I hate killing for the sake of it. My thinking with the Canberra lakes is that they are man made. So what is the issue wth carp being in there. Besides what is killing 2 or 3 carp a session going to do?

Its like taking a cocktail umbrella out in a cyclone.

Based on the previous posts I could be unpopular for saying this, but part of me thinks it's irresponsible to deliberately release feral, destructive fish back into the waterways, no matter how small a difference one fish makes in the grand scheme of things. Just because something is not illegal doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

I am prepared to eat my words if it was proven that releasing them is less damaging to the native waterways than disposing of them humanely though.

Based on the previous posts I could be unpopular for saying this, but part of me thinks it's irresponsible to deliberately release feral, destructive fish back into the waterways, no matter how small a difference one fish makes in the grand scheme of things. Just because something is not illegal doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

I am prepared to eat my words if it was proven that releasing them is less damaging to the native waterways than disposing of them humanely though.

+1

I kill every carp I can. They along with rabbits, foxes, feral cats, dogs, pigs, goats, buffalo, camels and donkeys destroy the environment and habitat for native animals.

I hear what your saying Kermadum, its a tough call...

I think your right in what your saying, and on the other hand I think previous comments are right too, really what difference is taking one or two fish per session going to acheive in the big scheme of things.

For me it comes down to the personal choice that I would rather leave the "humane dispatching" to someone else, I just don't like killing.

That said, if Carp really do cause such destruction to our native waterways, why don't fisheries enforce a catch & kill policy?

For me, unless they change the law I'll be releasing them. Besides, I haven't been carp fishing in years, so...

That said, if Carp really do cause such destruction to our native waterways, why don't fisheries enforce a catch & kill policy?

The answer to that is simple. Fisheries have stated that they do not have the right to force people (such as yourself) to kill something, regardless of its feral status. I agree with kermadum and offroad fisherman, and despatch all feral fish and animals. Right or wrong, in this instance, the choice is yours and you can act as you see fit.

Cheers

Hodgey

Maybe I and others whom choose to put back Carp if caught need educating on the impact they do have on the environment.

I for one really don't have an understanding on how much damage they do cause, hence my choice to put them back if caught.

I think my decision would change if properly educated, and could see exactly what impact they are having.

I understand they are an introduced species along with rabbits etc, but thats about as far as it goes.

If anyone can find any articles on the above mentioned, please add links, I would be interested to read.

The answer to that is simple. Fisheries have stated that they do not have the right to force people (such as yourself) to kill something, regardless of its feral status. I agree with kermadum and offroad fisherman, and despatch all feral fish and animals. Right or wrong, in this instance, the choice is yours and you can act as you see fit.

Cheers

Hodgey

Edited by foolforjesus

I think that part of the arguement is that by killing the larger carp there will end up being more food available for the smaller models, so ultimately selectively removing the big carp out of the population could end up leading to greater numbers down the line.

There is also evidence that carp are cannibalistic so removal of the bigger ones will lead to greater survival rates in the smaller fish, its probably not as simple as: killing all the carp we catch = less carp in the long run.

Maybe I and others whom choose to put back Carp if caught need educating on the impact they do have on the environment.

I for one really don't have an understanding on how much damage they do cause, hence my choice to put them back if caught.

I think my decision would change if properly educated, and could see exactly what impact they are having.

I understand they are an introduced species along with rabbits etc, but thats about as far as it goes.

If anyone can find any articles on the above mentioned, please add links, I would be interested to read.

This is a very good article for you to start with:

Carp info

It gives a very good summary of the issues surrounding these fish but it also address some of the popular misnomers. Well worth a read!

Cheers

Hodgey

Great article Hodgey, here's a couple more after a quick google search, overall these don't necessarily make a case either way in terms of the effectiveness of disposing of individual fish, but worth reading...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/feral-carp-carpet-our-rivers-in-the-murray-darling-river-system/story-e6freuy9-1226146044712

http://www.feral.org.au/pest-species/carp/

http://www.gamecouncil.nsw.gov.au/docs/mcleod.pdf

http://www.feral.org.au/pestsmart-factsheet-impacts-of-carp-in-australia/

+1

I kill every carp I can. They along with rabbits, foxes, feral cats, dogs, pigs, goats, buffalo, camels and donkeys destroy the environment and habitat for native animals.

And humans?

:1prop:

Like some of the others have said, I'd like to know more. If it realy is the case that they are demoloshing habitats like locusts, then fair enough. However it may be the case that they just fill a neiche in the food chain.

And humans?

Like some of the others have said, I'd like to know more. If it realy is the case that they are demoloshing habitats like locusts, then fair enough. However it may be the case that they just fill a neiche in the food chain.

The damage done to Australian eco systems by Carp is well documented... the articles posted above are just the tip of a very large iceberg. They, like Cane Toads, are highly destructive to local species so get a humane size 12 when I bring one to hand.

The best place for carp is somewhere else.

Edited by slinkymalinky

And humans?

Please study their destructive habits more.

They do not fill any niche in the food chain in this country. In fact they destroy

our natives food chain. :thumbdown:

I understand that in other countries they are revered by course fisherman,

or as a human food source in Asia.

Those countries have completely different ecosystems & species than what we have.

Do the right thing & delete every carp you catch.

Cheers,

Grant.

There is an extensive and authoritative scientific report here:

http://www.feral.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Impacts_of_Carpv1.pdf

It undermines and contradicts many of the widespread notions about carp. The decline of native fish was caused by humans and preceded the spread of carp who took advantage of what happened before. Carp fry are now an important food source for Murray Cod. They do not erode river banks, and there is no evidence that they compete with native fish for food. They silt they tend to stir up at the bottom is a result of human mismanagement. ETC etc.

Now before I'm misunderstood, I'd also rather they hadn't been introduced in the first place. But they're here to stay, and helping native fish recover is much better done by improving the rivers than by wasting efforts on carp.

There is an extensive and authoritative scientific report here:

http://www.feral.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Impacts_of_Carpv1.pdf

It undermines and contradicts many of the widespread notions about carp. The decline of native fish was caused by humans and preceded the spread of carp who took advantage of what happened before. Carp fry are now an important food source for Murray Cod. They do not erode river banks, and there is no evidence that they compete with native fish for food. They silt they tend to stir up at the bottom is a result of human mismanagement. ETC etc.

Now before I'm misunderstood, I'd also rather they hadn't been introduced in the first place. But they're here to stay, and helping native fish recover is much better done by improving the rivers than by wasting efforts on carp.

I didn't get far into it but this did it for me.

'Figure 1 Strategic approach to managing carp damage.'

I've never heard of any report relating to the management of

bass damage, murray cod damage, barra damage etc etc.

Has anyone else?

They are a pest & they ruin our rivers.

As for an important food source of food for cod. Blahhhh.

Not where I catch cod.

Thankfully our natives are a very hardy lot.

Cheers,

Grant.