Narra lake

mushtaka

I worked hard today for a hand full of poddy mullet in Narra lake. I was fishing with the standard float and small long shank hook. For 2 hrs work i managed 5 to send out off the beach.

It was frustrating to see some blokes using a cast net to catch them. I thought they were illegal in NSW???? Is this true?

Mushtaka

Yeah they're illegal. While its so tempting to use a cast net its breaking the law. Hopefully the fishing gods will smile on you for playing by the rules :biggrin2: Try deep creek for mullet as well. I clean up on them there. Avoid windy days though....

Cheers, Tom

I worked hard today for a hand full of poddy mullet in Narra lake. I was fishing with the standard float and small long shank hook. For 2 hrs work i managed 5 to send out off the beach.

It was frustrating to see some blokes using a cast net to catch them. I thought they were illegal in NSW???? Is this true?

Mushtaka

They are hard to get on the chew, but once they are feeding you should get them in too easy, try spending a little more time burleying them up with bread, i only use the freshest white bread, as i have found they arent into the multi grain, unhealthy little buggers! as for hook, i use the small green ones rather than the longshanks and get a good hook up rate.

and as far as i know cast nets are illegal in NSW, it also takes the fun out of it. Mullet are great fun on light gear!

Just out of interest what stage of the tide were you trying to catch the mullet? As I use a trap which seems to work better on low tide so I was just wondering.

Regards,

Nathan

Hi Nathan, it was just on low tide. But the lake lags behind a bit. There was also large tides over the weekend.

I don't use the traps as i am after the bigger mullet close to the 15cm size. I usually only get the small ones 5cm or so in the traps.

I send them off the beach for Jewies. If i get 6 good ones that is usually more than enough.

Might see you down there one time mate!

Mushtaka