Newbie to boating scene. Require trailer help!

2nite

Hi all,

I'm new to the whole "own your boat" scene. I recently picked (over 1 month now) up a vickers 4.7m runabout and it looks alright. However I have yet to put it in the water because of the damn trailer!

I tried to take it out at mooney mooney 2 Saturdays ago, remember that hot stinking one? Anyway the trailer wheel popped and I was on the side of the road for most of the day. When I arrived to the Hawkesbury river, I forgot to bring my winch!! Total waste of a day. Anyway, to the main issue.

I now have a 2000 model brooker trailer which needs new tires. Apparently the stock standards are 10" but this trailer had 12" and I'm having issues sourcing them. I have to order them. So in order to save future hassle I've decided to just upgrade the whole thing to 13" hubs which seem to be industry standard. I've tried to contact a referral for mobile trailer mechanics, but this guy hasn't responded so he can get screwed. I'm hoping someone here may have the time to teach me (I will pay you for your time) or know of someone who can come around and do this for me.. I've googled the hell out of changing hubs, bearings, etc and fairly confident I can do it, but having an experienced person around would be better seeing how this is my first attempt.

The boat is located in Bossley park ( Fairfield - Liverpool region)

Edited by 2nite

2nite. The first thing is to determine if you have Holden or Ford bearings.

Remove one of the outer bearings , there will be a number stamped on the side.

Ring around to some of the bearing companies like CBC or SKF & quoting the No., ask if they are H or F.

If something else , that may be a problem depending on the internal diamater , ie , the hole size that slides over the stub axle.

Once you have that information can then move forward

New hubs , complete with bearings , seals etc are available from most large marine outlets. Cost around $70 a pair

Before rushing out to purchase the hubs , source the rims ensuring the stud pattern is compatable. Wreckers are an option but with steel rims , rust will be a problem or look at Sunraysia rims. They tend to be competitivly priced.

Purchasing a complete set , hubs ,bearings & rims from a trailer supplier may be an easier option.

The other thing to check is the size / space under the guards. The last thing you need is to discover the new wheels do not fit under the guards..

There is a bit envolved but is mainly homework before spending the $$$$.

Your not far from me so if you need a hand , send a PM

Geoff

Just one thing to keep in mind is when replacing the bearings is you make sure that you pack them with a high temperature marine bearing grease. When you purchase new bearings don't think the grease you see in them is all they need. They only have a small amount of grease that will make the bearing overheat and fail very quickly. There is a trick to packing the grease in and that is to put a small amount on the palm of your hand and then continue to smack the bearing on your hand until no more grease will go in. To save having to remove your bearings annually and repacking invest in a couple of bearing mates and pump them full after each trip. Make sure you do it after each trip and not before as some people do.:wacko: The reason you do it after is to make sure any moisture is pushed out and not left in to seize the bearing during non use.

Regards Jeff

Guest Aussie007

Hi all,

I'm new to the whole "own your boat" scene. I recently picked (over 1 month now) up a vickers 4.7m runabout and it looks alright. However I have yet to put it in the water because of the damn trailer!

I tried to take it out at mooney mooney 2 Saturdays ago, remember that hot stinking one? Anyway the trailer wheel popped and I was on the side of the road for most of the day. When I arrived to the Hawkesbury river, I forgot to bring my winch!! Total waste of a day. Anyway, to the main issue.

I now have a 2000 model brooker trailer which needs new tires. Apparently the stock standards are 10" but this trailer had 12" and I'm having issues sourcing them. I have to order them. So in order to save future hassle I've decided to just upgrade the whole thing to 13" hubs which seem to be industry standard. I've tried to contact a referral for mobile trailer mechanics, but this guy hasn't responded so he can get screwed. I'm hoping someone here may have the time to teach me (I will pay you for your time) or know of someone who can come around and do this for me.. I've googled the hell out of changing hubs, bearings, etc and fairly confident I can do it, but having an experienced person around would be better seeing how this is my first attempt.

The boat is located in Bossley park ( Fairfield - Liverpool region)

its a 2000 model trailer it should have a compliance plate showing what size tires need to be on there u can get 10inch tires from tire shops try bonnyrigg tyres

heres a video on how to replace the bearings

if u get stuck send me a PM im 5mins away from u in edensor park i can drop by and do it for you when i can also use marine bearing kits with the rubber back seal not metal

Guest Aussie007

I dont know where you pay $70 for bearings, but if you go to whitworths,10 bucks each.I just bought some 4 weeks ago.

Geoff said hub kits not just the bearings :)

quality bearings are not $10 each, go to cbc and get skf bearings.

cheap bearings are shite bearings

and bearing buddies where does the grease disappear too if you have to pump it after every trip ?

all you are doing is blowing out the back seal, as the bearing buddy is a finite space and grease will only compress so much.

ive seen so many stuffed bearings where the owner had bearing buddies and the inner bearing is rusted and buggered but the outside one looks pristine

Just put decent seals in with a clean surface and check them as often as need be, every 6 months if heavy use every twelve months if little use

you can also have overheating issues if the bearing is fully packed, as the grease liquifies under heat and sloshes around.

it cannot do this if the hub is crammed full

Using bearing buddies does not blow the back seal out! The bearing buddie will pop off first unless the back seal is stuffed and needs replacing. If the grease liquefies then you are not using high temperature bearing grease. You only pump enough grease in to squeeze out any moisture, if you keep pumping until its squirting out the back or pushing the bearing buddie off then you don't know how to grease a bearing! MY OPION AND I WILL STICK TO IT! My business uses trailers with heavy machinery and all have bearing buddies fitted which get a squirt of grease at the end of every week. Since putting them on the trailers we have not had to change a bearing in the last 5years so I will stick to my opion of them. Regards Jeff

Guest Aussie007

ive never worried about using the bearing buddies heard to many stories about them and people pinching them in the car park :ranting2: so i just use the dust caps never had a problem

i was towing a new to me second hand trailer home the other night i was glad it was night time no traffic and much cooler weather as soon as i started towing i could hear the loud whine noise i thought ohhhhh no here i go stopped in a near by servo checked the hub the cap was missing and hub was hot i made it home pulled the wheel off the back bearing was gone only the casing left behind i was lucky the front bearing kept the wheel on for my trip home the bearings were rusted and had very little grease

so guys take the 1min and pop off your dust caps and check u have grease and while your at it look at the oppisite sides rear bearing seal look for grease leaking around the seal and all around the inner rim than do the other side if u notice anything get new bearing kits before its to late and your stuck on the side of the road

• 3 months later...

Have I missed something here????????????

Can some one please tell me why would you replace the hubs when you popped a tyre ??? (wheel popped)

I would have thought you would go to a tyre place and get either the flat repaired or the tyre replaced :mellow::huh::mellow: still not making any sense and I've read it twice

Edited by Adalimbi

I've now read it 3 times & nowhere does it say popped a tyre ????? Whining noise & getting hot, sounds like outer beg had collapsed & luckily still made it home , are you reading the same story ??? Well done on getting home safely

You only pump enough grease in to squeeze out any moisture, if you keep pumping until its squirting out the back or pushing the bearing buddie off then you don't know how to grease a bearing! Regards Jeff

Totally disagree with this comment.

As I was recommended from everyone on this forum to get bearing mates, I decided to go to my local boating store. The people who installed them for me, told me to keep pumping grease until the grease starts to come out of the little hole at the front, "apparently" that's the indicator that it is full. I did exactly this, pumping and carefully watching this little hole and kept pumping. After about 4-5 full pumps (which for experienced people will know is WAY too many pumps, after experience it should be 1 - 1.5 pumps only), grease finally came out of the little hole. I then proceed to go to the other wheel hub to pump grease in there. As I was doing it, I noticed on the first wheel, grease was coming out of the back seal.

Now, I don't know if I had cr@p grade grease or whatever, but I had it fitted at a proper marine boat shop followed their instructions and also purchased their grease and their pump. Long story short, I never went back. Bearing mates IMO, is just another thing to worry about, along with the 50 other boating checklists you need to be diligent with. Repacking once a year would be less stressful.

Unless you're willing to give step by step instructions and letting the newbie know of the possible hazards - like breaking the back seal etc - stating the after affects of misuse doesn't really help anyone.