Blue Swimmer, Slimies and untouchable kings

Jacques.va

Hi All,

So headed out on Saturday morning early(4am) from Tunks. We headed straight for the spit to try for squid but had no luck tried some other spots but seemed illusive for us(novices at squid fishing. After a while we hit Balmoral and the Slimies were going nuts. After cleaning up on some nice 45cm slimies and playing them on light tackle we decided to heat to some kings spots.

We burlies hard and had one decent run, my mate frozen in the process and we lost the fish :ranting2:

All of a sudden a small boat arrive he dropped a small live yakka and he was on. After about 5 minutes of being pulled around he landed a decen 70cm king. We were heart broken. With two live slimies left we sent them down to the bottom hoping that we would be lucky enough to catch our first king.

about 15mins past and something started stripping line of my reel. At first I thought it was a ray or eel so i decided to pull it in and see what was going on. To my surprise I pulled in the biggest blue swimmer crab I have ever seen. He was crazy trying to grab us at every chance he got, so i popped him in the esky for dinner.

We stayed around for a few more hours but no luck. Yet again no luck with the kings. All in all had a good day and was just happy to be out on the water.

post-15209-027478600 1355804891_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

So headed out on Saturday morning early(4am) from Tunks. We headed straight for the spit to try for squid but had no luck tried some other spots but seemed illusive for us(novices at squid fishing. After a while we hit Balmoral and the Slimies were going nuts. After cleaning up on some nice 45cm slimies and playing them on light tackle we decided to heat to some kings spots.

We burlies hard and had one decent run, my mate frozen in the process and we lost the fish :ranting2:

All of a sudden a small boat arrive he dropped a small live yakka and he was on. After about 5 minutes of being pulled around he landed a decen 70cm king. We were heart broken. With two live slimies left we sent them down to the bottom hoping that we would be lucky enough to catch our first king.

about 15mins past and something started stripping line of my reel. At first I thought it was a ray or eel so i decided to pull it in and see what was going on. To my surprise I pulled in the biggest blue swimmer crab I have ever seen. He was crazy trying to grab us at every chance he got, so i popped him in the esky for dinner.

We stayed around for a few more hours but no luck. Yet again no luck with the kings. All in all had a good day and was just happy to be out on the water.

Unlucky about the kingies but nice crab that will be a nice feed tonite.

Unlucky about the kingies but nice crab that will be a nice feed tonite.

That really is a monster crab nice catch, to be honest they taste better than Kingy's, and I usually fish only for the plate. I'll take a blue swimmer for a Kingy any day.

I'd be happy with that crab, tasty stuff!

How do you catch slimy mackerel? Ive tried so many times off land from the Balmoral jetty and all I can get is yakka, if anything. They sound so common on this forum but Ive never caught a single one. I am only land based though.

Hey stinkbait,

if you got hit on a 45cm slimey bait - you can bet that king was a damn good fish.

The rats don't bother with liveys that big usually.

The smaller slimies are the gun liey baits, along with small cowanyoung and yakkas (just try and tell the cowanyoung from the yakkas - not easy).

That guy that got the kingie on the small yakka - not a surprise at all.

But that blue swimme - well that's a very nice surprise....

Well done....

Tony

They sure were big Slimies, biggest ones we have seen. Not bonnies, these guys had tiny teeth.

What ever took the massive livie was big and it was not stopping.

With regards to catching slimies, pretty much the same as Yakkas but there where tones of slimies in plauge proportions so we got the small spinners out on light gear and had some fun. :biggrin2:

Sounds like mad fun. I went out Monday of this week around middle harbour couldn't even attract a single yakka up. Would be tops to catch some slimies for bait.

Also if you don't mind me asking, do you single hook the live baits behind the head? Do you drop them to the bottom or downrig and trawl.

Edited by SargeRX8

Sounds like mad fun. I went out Monday of this week around middle harbour couldn't even attract a single yakka up. Would be tops to catch some slimies for bait.

Also if you don't mind me asking, do you single hook the live baits behind the head? Do you drop them to the bottom or downrig and trawl.

Hey Sarge

We normally use one 6/0 circle behind the head and get him down to the bottom. we also trim the top tail slightly. Hope this helps