Botany Bay Arvo Sunday

helliconia

After my fun trip to Tuross a few weeks ago my partner and I hit Botany Bay on sunday arvo for some R&R.

It seems I've become the under-sized flathead king since my trip as that's about all I caught!

We started between the 3rd runway and Molli Point. We anchored amongst some other boats but that quickly turned into a slow drift dragging the anchor between the stiff north easterly and the heavy spring tide current. I fully expected to pull the anchor in with a dozen fish skewered on it.

I tried some blades and plastics but the current seemed too strong to hold bottom with 1/4 ounce jigheads so I stuck to the bait. All the damage was done on chunks of Woolies banana prawns and I landed about a dozen flathead in the 25-30cm range. The dog was very happy with my efforts, at one point clawing my leg trying to snaffle my catch.

Moved over to the 8 metre mark off north Brighton Beach for a similar result and a half sized tailor that all went back.

It was a fun afternoon even if the esky was empty at the end of they day, only slightly marred by driving back in a 5 minute rain cell without the bimini on :biggrin2:

We are envious, sounds like a good day on the bay compared to our usual efforts and only a five minute rain cell. We normally wait until it rains for at least half a day before we try.

Went out Saturday, pretty quiet with a couple of trevally at molli. Did get two nice flathead to 60cm close in a Sancs Sousi.

We had heaps of drama's last year with the anchor that came with the boat. I went and got one that was a size up on the one that came with it but the real trick was extending the chain. We now run a length of chain that is one and half times the length of the boat, When we stop now we stay stopped. Gets a bit heavy pulling it all in but its worth it especially out around the drums and molli. I just shackled the extra length on so I can shorten it when the conditions are easier. Give it a go, much more relaxed fishing when you aren't worrying about banging into another boat.

Cheers

Steve & Kathy

I was considering the chain and a bigger anchor, but with my bad back and no room for an electric winch i wasn't sure it was a good idea. I might try adding a couple of metres of chain first and ee how we go. It hasn't been a huge problem til now.

If you're out on the bay and see a black Brooker 475 with a 60 Yammie on the back come and say hi!

I did think after I got the bigger anchor that the extra chain might have been all I needed, forgot to mention that the only reason we needed a new anchor was because I forgot to check the shackle one day - who knew how far those things fly when they aren't connected! Lucky there wasn't anyone else close by or they would have worn it but at least I might have gotten it back.

Seriously though its the extra chain that helps the anchor lay down and stay in place so if weights an issue try it with the anchor you have. If there's a bit of chop or swell try letting out a bit more rope than you normally would as well so you hang back from the anchor instead of lifting it as the boat rises.

We are heading down to Sussex Inlet next week but normally fish the bay every couple of weeks so will keep an eye out for you.

We are in a 4.75 Ally Craft with a green BImi. Not hard to spot us just follow the rain around the bay, we will be under that normally in the area thats blowing the hardest ranting2.gif

Quick pic of one of the girls we got last Saturday

post-23017-074465900 1355911487_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shed1