Help with poddy mullet

mrbroadbill

Guest Aussie007

look around wharfs or shallow water u will see the poddys take off when u near the waters edge ive fished once under the como bridge there were poddys on the south/upstream side of the bridge it was a while ago tho

Sure i use to catch heaps of them as a kid in the canals that lead into the cooks river there are tons of them in there when the drains are about 1/4 full i use to use a meshed fish keeper whith the lid removed and a rope attache to the handle wouls shove heaps of bread in the trap then flig it out wher you saw enough mullet in there wham pull it up there you go a couple casts and your done

the local bait store use to buy them off us lol pinball machine money times were good

you'll get poddies just about everywhere in the georges.

I tried the old orange juice container with a couple of slits cut in it and folded inwards, with a couple of bits of bread broken up the other day at newbridge rd boat ramp at millperra.

I left it in the shallows at the ramp for an hour.

When I came back there was 20 or so little poddies in it.

They were all small ones and i needed a bigger bottle to get the bigger ones but theres plenty there.

Buy or make a trap and you'll get plenty

Guest Aussie007

Hey gazza have you trapped them there before? Or just by rod and reel... Never been up there. Im land based tho :thumbdown:

yeah mate ive caught them there twice thats the only two times ive gone for poddy mullet use a clear cylinder trap float it with a coke bottle and use clear rope toss it out chuck bread around the trap and your good to go

EDIT: first find the poddys in the area i marked along the point produces nice big poddys but around the old closed off wharf if its still there are smaller poddys

Edited by gazza

MrBB

My best suggestion is think like a poddy

They are easy to catch

If you we're a poddy were would you hide. Every where you can not be eaten

Shallows are easiest

Berly does help sometimes +++

I have found expandable mesh nets with a small float the best. Sometimes requiring a rock in it to stop rolling or drifting away.

If you are really stuck PM me and I will set you straight

JD

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Aussie007

went out yesterday to check on the poddys to see if they were around since its been 4 years since i caught them i mentioned previously today we went out with a poddy trap we caught 2 lost a few they kept getting out of the trap before we brought the trap in to empty them the new 4 piece trap fell to bits and sunk :( we manged 2 poddys with the new trap and than we tried a reversed coke bottle that worked but the poddys kept getting out we managed 1 more

theres about 200 poddy mullet here u can catch them land based or in a boat im helping u guys out and in doing that i ask u only take minimal amount of poddys so we dont wipe them out from this area