Where to fish at Jervis Bay?

nbh00d

Me and a few mates will be staying in Jervis Bay from tomorrow till Wednesday and wondering where should we go? My first choice will be some pelagic action but if condition doesn't permit then the good old bream and flathead would be okay as well. I'm also a big fan of squidding so where can I possibly catch a few? I will also take my missus there and told/sold her this is not just a fishing trip so I need to spend some time with her doing non-fishing activity. ;-) I don't know what to do and where should I take her? She likes yummy food and enjoys activities that don't involve too much physical input so basically she's lazy and just wouldn't stop eating LOL :D:D:D I wanted to carry her on the back of my PA and do a bit of exploring... maybe the Basin? I was busy lately so only just started doing a bit of research. Hopefully you guys can help me out especially the locals... thanks!!!!

P.S. We will be staying in Callala Bay and there are four of us (3 Hobies PA & 1 Malibu).

Screenshot2012-12-23at70214PM_zpscd23db3d.png

Can get squid at the boat ramp all ribion weed round there.gave allan some info have fun mad place to be.oh if you go round to husski theres some good cafes and go visit the fish ponds but other then walks on the beach theres not much around

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Edited by kingfisher84

Can get squid at the boat ramp all ribion weed round there.gave allan some info have fun mad place to be.oh if you go round to husski theres some good cafes and go visit the fish ponds but other then walks on the beach theres not much around

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Thanks mate

Be aware that part of Jervis Bay is marine park.

http://www.mpa.nsw.gov.au/pdf/PUB12%20101%20%20A4%20%20JBMP%20zoning%20plan%20user%20guide%20part%20B.pdf

I'm not sure if the road along the bay actually goes all the way to Huskisson which means going back to the highway & heading South.

Suggest a trip to Currarong (shown on your your map as Beectoft Head). The club has very good Chineese food & there is a seafood place in town.

The road to Point Perpendicular should be open. A vist to Honeymoon Bay is well worth while.

A little further on is a track to Target Beach. It's an easy walk but takes about 20 min.

Geoff

Me and a few mates will be staying in Jervis Bay from tomorrow till Wednesday and wondering where should we go? My first choice will be some pelagic action but if condition doesn't permit then the good old bream and flathead would be okay as well. I'm also a big fan of squidding so where can I possibly catch a few? I will also take my missus there and told/sold her this is not just a fishing trip so I need to spend some time with her doing non-fishing activity. ;-) I don't know what to do and where should I take her? She likes yummy food and enjoys activities that don't involve too much physical input so basically she's lazy and just wouldn't stop eating LOL :D:D:D I wanted to carry her on the back of my PA and do a bit of exploring... maybe the Basin? I was busy lately so only just started doing a bit of research. Hopefully you guys can help me out especially the locals... thanks!!!!

P.S. We will be staying in Callala Bay and there are four of us (3 Hobies PA & 1 Malibu).

Screenshot2012-12-23at70214PM_zpscd23db3d.png

From memory you have to drive back to the highway to head to StG Basin, or Huskisson or Vincentia.

Can recommend the StoneGrill at Huskisson, also the good old Husky Pub has had a revamp and we had some really good food there. Lots of cafe's along that little walk. If you take your missus to Husky about mid afternoon - pop down to see the Aboriginal Museum and the Lady Denham (I think that's the ferry's name) - just as you enter Husky 2nd street after the servo (again from memory - watch for the signs to be sure). There is a sea water enclosure there with a couple of wharves - left over from when that used to be a shipbuilding site - its pretty interesting. Bring along some old bread - or pay for some chook pellets there and feed the "monster" bream, flatties, snapper (>1m), kings etc trapped in there - it's not fishing but is fish related ...even your missus will have FUN! You can then have dinner afterward further into husky - maybe talk about the fish he he he!

If missus is a bit more adventurous, suggest you go down into the national park - marked as Jervis Bay Territory - go see the old ruined lighthouse. Spectacular views. There is really good write up of the history of that lighthouse. Some 180ships perished on that bit of coastline - makes you appreciate what the settlers went through... just be aware that the major roads in the National park are sealed but most of the side road to the lighthouse is unsealed. There are a number of beaches in that are that are spectacular white sand beaches.

Also, you might want to head a few more clicks down the road to the southern tip of the bay - missus can enjoy the National park scenery and you can check out Murray's beach boat ramp. Its the closest launch to the heads and fishing Middle Ground and around Bowen island is like a 1-2km trip from that boat ramp. Have not been there for years so I am not sure of the state of the ramp, but it used to have a wharf tucked in behind the breakwater.

Enjoy.