Pittwater Yakin'

Pocko

Hey all,

I just recently bought a little fishing kayak to have a bit of fun with on Pittwater/Narra lakes etc etc(Pic below), as I have no place to keep a little boat.

I went out on Pittwater yesterday and absolutely smashed the flattys! 5 in total, biggest went 76cm.

I also managed what Im pretty sure was a yellow tail barracuda, which I thought was very interesting to get in Pittwater... Can anyone confirm if there is a species of fish in Pitty that looks very similar?

Anyway, had a great day and hopefully next time I can get some pics of the fish (didn't have a phone on my at the time)

img0881rg.jpg

The Yak Sparrow

Hey all,

I just recently bought a little fishing kayak to have a bit of fun with on Pittwater/Narra lakes etc etc(Pic below), as I have no place to keep a little boat.

I went out on Pittwater yesterday and absolutely smashed the flattys! 5 in total, biggest went 76cm.

I also managed what Im pretty sure was a yellow tail barracuda, which I thought was very interesting to get in Pittwater... Can anyone confirm if there is a species of fish in Pitty that looks very similar?

Anyway, had a great day and hopefully next time I can get some pics of the fish (didn't have a phone on my at the time)

img0881rg.jpg

The Yak Sparrow

Nice work on the flatties :thumbup:

Were you up the back end of pitty?

Never make the mistake of heading out around west head on a windy day. I own a Hobie Pro Angler 12 which is a big yak, and got tossed around when gathering livies and drifting for flatties there. Was dead flat when i went out and then a change came in :thumbdown:

Sounds like a great session of yours though :thumbup:

Cheers, Tom

Good advice Tom, it can blow up in minutes and is no place for a novice on a yak or any other small craft. I have had to come to the aid of a couple capsized out of a canoe there about a year ago and neither of them had a life jacket. They told me they didn't need one as they were both good swimmers. They sure proved how good they were once in the water clinging to the canoe and been washed towards the rocks. I wasn't very polite to them :ranting2: as they put me, my son and my boat at risk to save their wretched hides.

Regards Jeff

Cheers for the heads up guys. Im getting used to the way she handles and what conditions I can take her out in. Im getting close to the heads but I dont think ill ever go around/out them.

I went out again today and bagged another 3 good flattys. Biggest went 60cm all on soft plastics this time, 6 lb braid. I desperately need to work on netting them from the yak though :wacko: practise makes perfect I guess.

Got a few pics this time.

img0884an.jpg

img0883a.jpg