Looking at new Four Stroke

Nolongeramember

Well my 1988 model 60HP Yamaha 2 Stroke is finally dead so Im up for a new engine. I would love to put a new Four stroke on but the problem is my boat is an old style 4.9m Quintrex runabout and cant take any more weight on the back than the 60HP Yamaha 2 stroke fitted at the moment.

I was looking at the specs of the Suzuki Four 60HP and it has a weight of 107kg's. The same weight as what Yamaha say their 60HP 2 stroke is. Are these figures in the brochures reliable and do these 2 engines really weigh the same?

Also my top speed of my 4.9 tinny with the Yamaha 60HP 2 stroke was about 55km/h. What sort or top speed would I get with a 60 Four Stroke? Im not really fussed for acceleration, aslong as I get a decent top speed.

Thanks for any help..

Give our site sponsor a call at Huett Marine @ Cowan for a great raider price and great service.

HUETT MARINE CENTRE

www.huettmarine.com.au

Mr Craig Huett

1131 Pacific Hwy

Cowan NSW 2081

Email: craig@huettmarine.com.au

Phone: (02) 9456 1444

Trading Hours

Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm

Saturday 8.30am to 3pm

Sunday closed

Craig can also be contacted by personal message on this forum by using member name Huey@Huett Marine

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Roylo,

I currently have a 4.65m plate boat approx 800kgs for the boat,motor,fuel and 2 guys. I am running a 4 stroke high thrust 60hp Yamaha and I am getting 26 knots wide open out of it, not sure what the km/h conversion is. Obviously different props could increase or decrease this top end but that is at 5800 rpm and it still gets up on the plane quite quickly. It's not exactly what your looking at but may give you an idea of what you may be able to expect.

top speed is generally the same between 2 and 4 stroke as long as the gearpox ration and prop is the same

its holeshot or acceleration that differs.

i dont think you can go wrong with the yamaha ive owned and no many with this same engine.

and yes the weight is correct

The Yammys great mate but i'd also check out the ETECS (Huey does great prices trust me, top guy aswell) the ETEC might be a little more or less then the Yammy but needs less servicing, no break in periods, same power as a 2 stroke but still quiet and excellent on fuel.. oh and still light! if i were in your postion i'd check the ETEC out

The Yammys great mate but i'd also check out the ETECS (Huey does great prices trust me, top guy aswell) the ETEC might be a little more or less then the Yammy but needs less servicing, no break in periods, same power as a 2 stroke but still quiet and excellent on fuel.. oh and still light! if i were in your postion i'd check the ETEC out

E-Tecs are 2 stroke...

The new yammy 70hp was marketed as being very light for a four stroke in that hp range (would have to check website for actual specs) I reckon that would be a goer for your boat. Careful with etecs, I was next to a charter operator the other day chasing a school of salmon and the noise his 70 etec was making at a speed just above idle was unbelievable. Couldn't believe it as all etec ads bang on about how quiet they are. I'm no expert but it seems to me the only people who rate etecs are those sponsored by them, ie those paid by evinrude to market them. You only have to look at Paul Worsteling who spent years crapping on about how unbelievably good his etec was only to suddenly change to Suzuki to see that just because people say something's a good product doesn't mean it actually is. Like I said I'm no expert but when you are making your decision speak to everyday owners of different motors rather than look to well known fishos who are undoubtedly sponsored by outboard brands and flog them accordingly.

Ps I own a yammy 115 4 stroke and like it

But also know a couple of Suzuki owners who love theirs as well

They would get my two votes, as well as possibly a Honda

Edit, just checked the Yamaha website and saw their 70 4stroke weighs 120kg so possibly too heavy

But the point remains the same, don't get sucked in by marketing spin, chat to different boat owners and form your own opinion

Edited by tentonner

The new yammy 70hp was marketed as being very light for a four stroke in that hp range (would have to check website for actual specs) I reckon that would be a goer for your boat. Careful with etecs, I was next to a charter operator the other day chasing a school of salmon and the noise his 70 etec was making at a speed just above idle was unbelievable. Couldn't believe it as all etec ads bang on about how quiet they are. I'm no expert but it seems to me the only people who rate etecs are those sponsored by them, ie those paid by evinrude to market them. You only have to look at Paul Worsteling who spent years crapping on about how unbelievably good his etec was only to suddenly change to Suzuki to see that just because people say something's a good product doesn't mean it actually is. Like I said I'm no expert but when you are making your decision speak to everyday owners of different motors rather than look to well known fishos who are undoubtedly sponsored by outboard brands and flog them accordingly.

Ps I own a yammy 115 4 stroke and like it

But also know a couple of Suzuki owners who love theirs as well

They would get my two votes, as well as possibly a Honda

Edit, just checked the Yamaha website and saw their 70 4stroke weighs 120kg so possibly too heavy

But the point remains the same, don't get sucked in by marketing spin, chat to different boat owners and form your own opinion

No such thing as a 70HP E-TEC so who knows what engine you were listening to and the noise of an E-TEC is comaprable to any 4-Stroke and at crusieing speed even quieter. Not sure how many you have actually used personally but I have used HEAPS as well as all the brands of 4-Strokes and an 115HP E-TEC at cruise speed is quieter than your F115-that is fact and any day you want to test me on this feel free to come with me on a water test to see first hand. As for the gentleman you mentioned, little knowledge is dangerous and BRP let him go not the other way around. What you claim about sponsership deals can be said for any product and personally someone like ourselves, who has been servicing and selling outboard for close to 50 years and could stock any brand there is would be more valuable to ask or gve advise than someone who happens to be a fisherman and would not know a driveshaft from a crankshaft. As for the F70, nice engine like they all are today but a VERY weak engine and trust me doing 5500 to cruise they are noisey-I have water tested that engine side by side to an E75 on the same model boat on the same day back to back and the F70 was noiser anyway above idle and did not perform any where near as well.

As I said to the OP when he contacted me, all engines are good and everyone will have an opinion but most have little knowledge and always have a story from someone they know, not actual ownership stories and if you are happy with your current outboard that is great, just make ceratin what you type is correct, which it is not.

Cheers,

Huey.

EDIT-these posts always end up like this where a 4-Stroke owner will come and bag an E-TEC, but I hardly see an E-TEC owner bag a 4-Stroke, they usualyll point out the benefits of what choose to fit to their boat. I , for the life on me, do not see why some boaters see the need to do this, while not say I have a F115 and I like it.

This site is better than most so if you want to play mine is better than yours, why not go to the many other sites that let this BS go on.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine

Look the main point of my post was to say form your own opinion about this, the etec mentioned may not have been a 70 exactly but was in that vicinity and was loud and that's a fact. I was under the impression the point of this site was to allow members to put forward their own opinions ( not expert opinions but an view formed from talking to etec owners as well as other outboard owners who despite not being marine mechanics know how much juice their engine is using, how much they spend on servicing and how their motor compares in performance to previous motors they have owned). If people are gonna get slammed for putting forward their own opinions and offering caution in believing clever marketing, then I won't bother posting in future.

And the post about PW regardless of who let who go, my point was that not that long ago according to him etecs were amazing and now suddenly suzis are the business showing that in reality his word means nothing.

Roy i was in same position as you approx 6 mths ago , id right a page up with all the motors your lookin at ,even a new old tech 2 stroke ,have their hp,weight,cubes/liter,amperage,servicing intervals and approx costs over their warranty period ,are you going to be trolling,blasting to yr fav fishin spot ,cruising with family for the day ?.then get prices on all of them fitted make sure props and controls are in the price. and dnt forget are you going to be using it everyweekend or maybe only half dozen times are year? are you going to keep the boat for a while as you wont recoup much money for the old boat only for the motor, lots to consider.