Botany Bay 28th Dec

JET01

After picking up my new PA12 on the 23rd Dec, I'd fished twice in the Hacking with the Thunderbird crew for donuts.

Being pretty keen to blood the new yak, I'd decided to get back to my roots and flick plastics for flatties around Towra in the bay. When I started fishing a few years ago, I bought a boat and would almost be 100% sure of getting a flattie every time I fished these waters.

I pushed off late, around 9am, the Mrs planned to fish the flats at Kurnell for some whiting while I was out in the Yak.

I fished the rocky area near the sanctuary zone and all along the mangrove edges for zip... I moved into deeper waters (2-4m) half way between Bonna Point and Towra point, once again for zip.

This was starting to look like another donut session.

It was getting close to midday and I'd promised the mrs a ride on the back of the new PA12. So I paddled towards the boat ramp.

The tide was really starting to move across a sand bar a few hundred meters from the Sanctuary Zone. As I couldn't see the mrs on the beach I figured "I'll give it a couple of casts". Drogar-Laugh%28LBG%29.gif

Second cast and wack... I'm on... As I haven't caught a legal fish since the day I picked up my first legal Jewie, I was pretty excited. It took a few big runs early. Then just didn't want to move. With only 6lb leader on I was praying that I'd hooked the fish in the lip. The fight lasted quite a while, and was tricky because as soon as I hooked up the Southerly buster came through, which blew me and my pig PA12 around a bit.

After netting what I knew straight away was my PB, I headed back to silver beach as fast as I could, pushing into the wind was tough. Finally found some shelter on the beach for a few pics and a very satisfying release.

For all you tackle junkies

Gear used: 1-4kg 66 Shimano T-curve flight

Shimano Stradic CI4 1000

6lb Sunline Super PE

6lb Fluorocarbon leader

1/4oz 2/0 Jig head

Medium Squidgy Pro Lobby in Wasabi colour.

post-12306-093340700 1356740252_thumb.jpg

post-12306-099161400 1356740262_thumb.jpg

post-12306-070526100 1356740285_thumb.jpg

post-12306-093534100 1356740293_thumb.jpg

Jet's youtube channel

there is a clip of the release on my youtube channel aswell as a poor clip of the fight.

Edited by JET01

Nice one mate :thumbup:

How long was he? 70?

Great way to blood the PA12. I've had mine for a few months now and they're a awesome yak! The advantage of being able to stand while fishing is invaluable!

Hope you keep smashing the lizards from it!

Cheers, Tom

Well done on your capture. What a fish to break a drought! Great pics too especially of the flattie swimming away in clear water with you very happy in that shot. Look forward to more reports in future ...