Christmas Report

Well raiders I have finally got around to writing my report for this chrissy. Flying up to Mackay Christmas day my first trip wasnt until boxing day, unfortunately Dad (basscatcher) was working over chrissy so couldnt come up which restricted my trips to being landbased.

First trip took me to the salt up one of the creeks with the only bites being the hordes and hordes of mozzies (made the rookie error of forgetting the aeroguard) i called it quite pretty quick.

After reading a few online blogs I decided to give a few of the small ponds a go fishing for small barra and tarpon with my light gear. Being all thick weed with pockets and channels to flick I used all surface lures. I was getting hits straight away on a small SP frog, but just couldnt set the hooks and out of frustration I switched to a jackall popper, still getting hits every 2nd cast it wasnt long until one of the 6 hook points were set and I finally landed my first tarpon, HOW FUN ARE THEY! jumping around all over the place really makes you practice keeping pressure on a fish after that first fish they were pretty keyed in on the popper so i switched to a more subtle approach and rigged up a weedless slider rolled on the surface, this proved to be very successful getting me another 3 fish.

post-11518-033804000 1357552755_thumb.jpgpost-11518-038601700 1357552741_thumb.jpgpost-11518-061397900 1357552767_thumb.jpgpost-11518-025504500 1357552784_thumb.jpg

Next trip was down to the same location, same technique just earlier on in the afternoon and after rain. so I didnt have high hopes but as the previous session I was immediately rewarded with lots and lots of action and as soon as one weed "pool" went quiet I moved on. with that many hooks ups and hits i was thoroughly entertained for 3ish hours. unfortunately because of their(the tarpon) bony mouths it was hard punch the hooks into them but eventually one would stick and it was up to keeping pressure on as the fish flung themselves out of the water! By the end of this session I got another 4 tarpon and a massive smile on my face.

post-11518-009257300 1357552801_thumb.jpgpost-11518-004988700 1357552821_thumb.jpgpost-11518-083434300 1357552834_thumb.jpgpost-11518-022227400 1357552851_thumb.jpg

The session after this was a bit of the spur of the moment down in another one of the rivers (remembered the aeroguard) to test out some new lures, in particular a smoking drags black swan. All I can say is that it has an awesome action and I cant wait to be trying them on the flatty and some pelagics down here.

With my next session being the biggest of the trip to say I was keen was an understatement. I was heading out to Kinchant dam with a friend of a friend who competes in the ABT. We got to the dam around four and not 15 minutes I hooked up to a barra 70cm nut lost him boat side due to a tightened drag and small hooks. from then it too an amount of time to get another hook up and even find the fish with the lowrance HDS touch 12. So a change of tactics from casting hardbodies to trolling them to find where the fish were moving, and as it turns out they were pushing into the shallows. We found the fish swimming through on the side scan, once utilised this feature is outstanding while we were watching these schools Pete caught two fish a 90cm and an whopping 117cm which absolutely swallowed his lure. Even though I didnt end up catching anything I had a great time and learnt so much, some of which I cant wait to use on my next trip.

post-11518-075943600 1357552872_thumb.jpg

After such a high with the big barra, I went back to the tarpon for one last session before I left. This time I got some much bigger hits, which unfortunately didnt stick and finished with 3

post-11518-093561700 1357552914_thumb.jpgpost-11518-049927800 1357552936_thumb.jpgpost-11518-073458000 1357552968_thumb.jpg

Sorry for such a long read but there hasnt been a report in a while

Cheers Bassboy

Hey Bassboy. Sounds like a great experience with the tarpon. Show you've read the terrain well and adapted to the situation to get the bites and land the fish. Sorry about the missed barra but I guess seeing a monster landed in the boat would've been exciting enough.

Learning to read the sounder is something the experts seem to do a lot of and is a skill I'll admit I have not developed at all. We spoke to a gun local at Windamere at our recent trip who was getting double digit captures at all hours of the day in the middle of the lake just by finding the deeper fish on his sounder. Definitely a useful skill to develop ...

Hey Bassboy. Sounds like a great experience with the tarpon. Show you've read the terrain well and adapted to the situation to get the bites and land the fish. Sorry about the missed barra but I guess seeing a monster landed in the boat would've been exciting enough.

Learning to read the sounder is something the experts seem to do a lot of and is a skill I'll admit I have not developed at all. We spoke to a gun local at Windamere at our recent trip who was getting double digit captures at all hours of the day in the middle of the lake just by finding the deeper fish on his sounder. Definitely a useful skill to develop ...

You're not wrong Pmak the sounders if used properly can be the most important tool while fishing these day. The best thing to do while practicing with the sounder is just play with it while on the water and it won't take long to understand it! And YouTube always helps. Can't wait to try the side scan on the jewies now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...