NE Victorian Streams

Centrepin

Fishing a favourite stretch of a favourite stream is like catching up with a good friend you have not seen for a long time. You are keen to see how they are travelling, what has transpired since you last met and what is in the offing for the future.

So it was when I returned to the Nariel. My friend has lost some weight and but generally look in good health. The winter season had been tough from the evidence of floods. The stream bed was still scoured and little evidence of emerging aquatic life.

As I walked downstream I saw the spots where there have been triumphs and disappointments. The memories were relived and a savoured. I went downstream another run further and started fishing with expectation of a lovely day, irrespective of the fishing.

The first run saw a lovely brown about 40c.m’s come up to the Royal Wulff. He was an eager chap and it took considerable lack of timing and skill to miss him, but I managed it. So a good start to the day was not followed up by more interest. After about 30 mins I reverted to a green drake nymph and snagged a small rainbow. Encouraging but again short lived.

I fished some lovely water with the nymph and was very surprised not to have some more action. Back went on my standard red humpy and persevered. A beautiful brown came from an unlikely looking run and spirits soared.

post-10909-071633200 1357729240_thumb.jpg

post-10909-016209500 1357729258_thumb.jpg

Another came from a shaded backwater that took the fly slowly and deliberately

Fished another 6 or so runs. Saw a good fish in station that took a small nymph below the dry and missed the take

And that was the end of the “action”. Wandered back to the car and while not a productive day fishwise a most satisfying day to have fished on the most lovely stretch of water on a bright sunny day and had a few fish come up to the dry.

The Cudgewa was warmer than I had expected so it was no surprise that no fish were evident where I would normally have expected them. I fished for about an hour for no sign at all. Perhaps higher up where it was cooler would have been productive, I’ll never know.

I decided to fish a new river for me. The Tallangatta was in the next valley and a reccy showed it to have lots of promise.

post-10909-029676700 1357729275_thumb.jpg

The next day I started about 10.00am with the grass in front of me moving with small green hoppers. I already knew I had not brought my parachute hoppers and called in at Corryong to see what they had. Well it was Knobby hopper or Knobby hopper. I had not had good success with these. I scoured the boxes and found a single poly hopper with rubber legs. That would have to do.

I started well up the river at the first bridge that crossed. The runs looked very fishy but no sign. I was working up some shallowish water in full sun when the fly went down and very good brown of about 3 lbs came up. This was a good start .

post-10909-049275300 1357729381_thumb.jpg

I fished for another hour in great water for no sign.

I decided to walk back downstream and check the water out. There were obvious places you would expect fish and some average places. The average places held nothing but in three of the obvious places I was rewarded with good fish about 2 lbs. I finished the day well satisfied to have met a new and interesting friend.

post-10909-097479300 1357729297_thumb.jpg

post-10909-016139300 1357729318_thumb.jpg

post-10909-062217500 1357729339_thumb.jpg

Last outing was again on the Tallangatta. I fished higher up with similar results as the previous visit. No fish from the shaded areas. 4 fish from good sunny spots but smaller than the previous visit. They were still nice fish about 40 c.m’s. All browns..

The photo’s are not very interesting. It is hard to get better photo’s on you own without stressing the fish.

post-10909-029583700 1357729359_thumb.jpg

post-10909-092769600 1357729404_thumb.jpg

North east Victoria is a great place to fish. At every farm I asked they were so keen and helpful.” Yes of course you can fish. No need to ask at the next property just fish up the river”.

On the second outing on the Tallangatta I was walking back to the car along the road. A farmer stopped and gave me a lift back to the car. The people could not be more helpful. The opposite of around the Fish river NSW.

There are more rivers within 50 mins of camp I have not fished yet. The Thougla is small water but has good depth in the runs. It looks promising. The Mitta Mitta and Kiewa are not a lot further and I have not touched the famous Indi.

We are looking forward to Easter to catch up with our established and new friends.

Geoff and Evi